Re: Siege Caltrop Test run

  • bluecat@neo.rr.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2011
      These are comments, opinions, and suggestions.

      I agree with Jonathas, the KISS principle ought to be applied, so in keeping with that idea--

      1) If approval can be gained, it would be good to know how these operate in a test run. If you PLAN to try it
      - you had best get approval from your Kingdom DEM first.

      2) Caltrops made of approved bolts are good in my *opinion*, but caltrops made of anything lacking approval is
      probably not a good thing. I would not put anything on the field that has not been approved for use already.
      Everyone knows what bolts look like- anything else may bring questions and confusion. Don't add something new.

      3) I'm thinking the key to this is attachment that will hold the bolts in place so they do not collapse. So
      I'll suggest what comes to mind-

      - Three 1 1/2 to 2 inch holed rubber washers tied together at the same point to make a triangle, slide the
      bolts in bottom end first if you have no fletch.

      (note- if you have bolts that are good but have no fletch, this way you can use them and then shoot them later
      when you need them )

      - A leather triangle with holes in it to slide the bolts into- holes about the same size as the bolt diameter
      if you have no fletch.

      - Elastic bungee ball strap ( long) tied around the center of all three bolts, and crossed over through the
      middle and secured so it doesn't slip down.

      - A quick lashing of rope around the three bolts so they pivot. ( ya'll know how to lash right?)

      What I would NOT use-

      Truck tarp straps with metal hooks or bungee cords with big metal hooks- the small bungees might do as the
      hooks are small

      Duct tape - for the obvious reasons.

      If you can get approval to do this, I'd love to know how this turns out.

      Dirk Edward of Frisia