A Passing at Pennsic ....

  • Paul W. Van Dyke
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 15, 2011
      It was at this year's Pennsic that the accident occurred. It was reported
      that while marshaling the hard-fought bridge battle, Master Jean Paul
      Pierrepont OL OP, simultaneously took a ballista shot to the chest, and six
      combat archery shots over the torso - killing him instantly. The Society
      Earl Marshal, while mourning the loss of a marshal, realized that the
      society needed someone to lead the siege program as Master Jean Paul and his
      forefathers had led before. There was one name that Master Jean Paul had
      mentioned over and over when he was drunk and crying . (Sorry - this part
      may not be correct as it is blurred) Master Quinn Phelan of Caid. The SEM
      knew that was incorrect as a candidate as he was the last one that served so
      honorably for so long ... Who would take the mantle?

      (commercial break)

      From a lofty cloud in the sky, Master Jean Paul Pierrepont looked at the
      Gods as they said "It's not your time to die ..Too many want a piece of
      you .. we are sending you BACK! .. This time as a TARGET! .. You will die
      many times"

      With and in blinding flash he found himself again in his shop, with dusty
      siege machines that he has not really been allowed to play with, and the
      plans of other "toys" that were put away so long ago.

      <pause>

      When you are running the show, you really can't play. It has been 5 years
      "running" the program, 2 years before that learning under tutorage of Master
      Quinn Phelan, before that, running the program in the Middle Kingdom besides
      being in command of their siege army. It is a service and sometimes fun to
      lead, but it can be a bit lonely when all are playing and you can't.

      When you see targets that they miss seeing, but don't dare say anything as
      you would disturb the flow of the war.. It is time for new blood..

      I intend on being at Gulf Wars and the Pennsic battle field next year, I am
      still blowing dust off the evil plans that were shelved so long ago.

      BUT who is next to lead this group???
      There is but one, that matched not only the Society Earl Marshal's
      requirements and mine.

      Lady Svanhildr Karlsdottir (also known as Svan) of the East Kingdom.

      She has been in command of the siege program in the East when the primary
      has life issues, has been a invaluable MAJOR player in the Pennsic siege
      program (did not matter who was running the war.
      Even tho she is my friend, she has no problem telling me when she believes I
      am off base .. as I expect and respect.
      One hell of a marshal . go ahead, try the rules in front of her . I'll get
      coffee and watch.. Warning - if you wish to try her, be ready. She will
      stand her ground. This job is NOT for wimps.

      Svan is all I was, and Quinn too, and more. She has no problem asking
      questions, or opinions, but also knows that as of midnight August 14, 2011 .
      She is the final say..

      Warm fuzzy feelings for all the help, support, and in some cases dislike for
      my calls - as that kept me honest and made me make sure the program was
      going forward - not backward.

      There is more .. but I see dust I have to clean off a few ballista and a
      tabard I am damn proud to wear on the field .. and for once in 8 years . it
      is not a marshal's!!

      On the field soon
      Feelings to all. Hmmm - chilled mead -

      "JP"
    • Sean Powell
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 15, 2011
        My congratulations and deep condolences to Svan. Those are big boots to
        fill... although I know she is particularly apt at kicking people in the
        ass with large boots when they desperately deserve it. It also explains
        some obscure FaceBook posts.

        JP, It will be good to have you back behind an engine again.

        Sean

        On 8/15/2011 10:24 PM, Paul W. Van Dyke wrote:

        > BUT who is next to lead this group???
        > There is but one, that matched not only the Society Earl Marshal's
        > requirements and mine.
        >
        > Lady Svanhildr Karlsdottir (also known as Svan) of the East Kingdom.
        >

        > On the field soon
        > Feelings to all. Hmmm - chilled mead -
        >
        > "JP"
        >

        > ------------------------------------

      • Diane K. Hauer
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 16, 2011
          JP, Thank you.
          I do indeed have some large boots to fill, boots that have only grown over time.
          I learned much working with Quinn and yourself.
          It does not seem that many years have passed. It is but a blink of the eye when I was sitting on a knoll and Master Iheronimus asked me if I might be interested in helping out with Siege in the East.
          Many years ago.
          Many years ago when Master Quinn and I taught together at Pennsic.
          Many years ago when JP asked if I would help him. (And get a little vacation to boot) ;-).

          All of it seems like yesterday. I am proud to have been taught by such knowledgeable leaders.
          Thank you,
          ~Svan

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 16, 2011
            Huzzah and Vivat x3 to this most capable and respected lady!!! She helped to
            plant a boot in my derriere when I was curious about siege and it will be a
            real honor to serve under her vision and guidance!

            Taranach McLeod
            �thelmearc Siege Brigadier
            Shadowclans Eastern Outpost
            Creator of fantastic Sci-Fi and Medieval wonders
            "Melior morior in nostrum pedis quam inservio in nostrum genua."