New Trebuchet

  • Warlord of Iowa
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
      Hello -

      Okay, bear with me as I am novice when it comes to what is SCA legal for "Siege Machinery."

      I need to know the following:

      A. A good link to pick up the Siege Manual so I can at least read through it.

      B. I was hoping to use old tennis balls as my ammunition of choice.
      - Is there a limit to how many can be flung at once?
      - Do the Tennis Balls have to be adjusted in any way to be "SCA legal?"

      C. Any recommendations as what is best to be used for counter-weights? (I was hoping to use burlap
      bags full of rocks.)

      FIRE FOR EFFECT!

      Hrolf "the Harasser" Jameson

      Honored Husband of Kara Isaksdottir
      Baronial Bard of the Barony of Fenix
      Sergeant-Warder of the Royal Caravanserai at Besmaya
      Holder of the Midrealm Warrior Award
      Paid Member

      My front is pushed back. My right gives way. Situation excellent! I am attacking!
      - Ferdinand Foch, 1916 AD

      www.outdoorsunlimited.net
    • Richard le Hauke
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
        Welcome to the light of the Dark Side :-D

        Here are the answers to your questions:

        A:
        http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/docs/siege/siege_engines_handbook.pdf
        and
        http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/docs/siege/SiegeHandbookUpdate.pdf

        B: If you use *just* the tennis balls, they are considered small
        munitions (i.e. Combat Archery fire). You can take those T-Balls and
        fashion them into the 4 T-Ball clusters and inflict more damage. The
        number of each depends on the size of the engine.

        C: If it's heavy enough to use as a counterweight, it should be ok as
        long as it is safe.

        - Rich

        Warlord of Iowa wrote:
        > Hello -
        >
        > Okay, bear with me as I am novice when it comes to what is SCA legal for "Siege Machinery."
        >
        > I need to know the following:
        >
        > A. A good link to pick up the Siege Manual so I can at least read through it.
        >
        > B. I was hoping to use old tennis balls as my ammunition of choice.
        > - Is there a limit to how many can be flung at once?
        > - Do the Tennis Balls have to be adjusted in any way to be "SCA legal?"
        >
        > C. Any recommendations as what is best to be used for counter-weights? (I was hoping to use burlap
        > bags full of rocks.)
        >
        > FIRE FOR EFFECT!
        >
        > Hrolf "the Harasser" Jameson
        >
        > Honored Husband of Kara Isaksdottir
        > Baronial Bard of the Barony of Fenix
        > Sergeant-Warder of the Royal Caravanserai at Besmaya
        > Holder of the Midrealm Warrior Award
        > Paid Member
        >
        > My front is pushed back. My right gives way. Situation excellent! I am attacking!
        > - Ferdinand Foch, 1916 AD
        >
        > www.outdoorsunlimited.net
        >

        > ------------------------------------

      • mit1369
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
          >Okay, bear with me as I am novice when it comes to what is SCA legal for "Siege Machinery."
          >
          >I need to know the following:
          >
          >A. A good link to pick up the Siege Manual so I can at least read through it.

          Can't help you there. SCA.ORG might be a good place to look.

          >B. I was hoping to use old tennis balls as my ammunition of choice.
          > - Is there a limit to how many can be flung at once?
          > - Do the Tennis Balls have to be adjusted in any way to be "SCA legal?"

          If I remember correctly single tennisballs are treated as arrows. So tossing them on a high trajectory is a waste of time as arrow hits to the helm are no good. Any that might hit the grill will be "glanceing" and also "not good". Your best bet would be putting together "4 tennis ball rocks" which are, just like it says, 4 tennis balls taped together. Be sure that you follow the extreme letter of the rules because archers and siege weapons are held under the magnifying glass in order to get onto the field.

          >C. Any recommendations as what is best to be used for counter-weights? (I was hoping to use burlap
          >bags full of rocks.)

          Instead of rocks I would suggest sand bags. Myles had some metal ingots that we used for weights on the "Elizabeth Wrecks". Did you check with him?

          Uadahlrich

          >FIRE FOR EFFECT!
          >
          >Hrolf "the Harasser" Jameson
          >
          >Honored Husband of Kara Isaksdottir
          >Baronial Bard of the Barony of Fenix
          >Sergeant-Warder of the Royal Caravanserai at Besmaya
          >Holder of the Midrealm Warrior Award
          >Paid Member
          >
          >My front is pushed back. My right gives way. Situation excellent! I am attacking!
          >- Ferdinand Foch, 1916 AD
          >
          >www.outdoorsunlimited.net

          "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Take his fish away and tell him he's lucky just to be alive, and he'll figure out how to catch another one for you to take tomorrow."

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • Warlord of Iowa
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
            Uadahlrich -

            Old friend, you will just have to come over and check out the machine when you can come out of your
            cave.

            This Sunday would be good if you are free.

            Good Hunting!

          • Sean Powell
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
              There is a lot more G force on the drive mass at the bottom of it's arc then
              you might think. Burlap might not be sufficient. My small demo treb (8'
              throwing arm 16" drive arm) has a wooden box about 32x16x16 that we fill
              with rocks and such. The weight of the empty box alone is enough to throw
              small ammo. Somewhere, someplace is a bunch of interesting calculations (for
              people who find that stuff interesting) which pretty much shows that once
              your drive mass is 100 times your projectile mass then you aren't getting
              much more bang for your pound (assuming your throwing arm isn't heavily
              over-built). Since SCA combat ammo is less then one pound, I don't see much
              reason to design a combat treb with much more then 150lbs of drive mass. But
              I'd build the box strong enough to support 3 times that as a minimum.

              happy shooting!

              Sean

              >>Okay, bear with me as I am novice when it comes to what is SCA legal for
              "Siege Machinery."

              >>I need to know the following:
              >>
              >>A. A good link to pick up the Siege Manual so I can at least read through
              it.

              > Can't help you there. SCA.ORG might be a good place to look.
              >

              >>B. I was hoping to use old tennis balls as my ammunition of choice.
              >> - Is there a limit to how many can be flung at once?
              >> - Do the Tennis Balls have to be adjusted in any way to be "SCA
              legal?"

              > If I remember correctly single tennisballs are treated as arrows. So
              tossing them on a high
              > trajectory is a waste of time as arrow hits to the helm are no good. Any
              that might hit the grill
              > will be "glanceing" and also "not good". Your best bet would be putting
              together "4 tennis ball
              > rocks" which are, just like it says, 4 tennis balls taped together. Be
              sure that you follow the
              > extreme letter of the rules because archers and siege weapons are held
              under the magnifying glass
              > in order to get onto the field.
              >

              >>C. Any recommendations as what is best to be used for counter-weights? (I
              was hoping to use
              >>burlap
              >>bags full of rocks.)
              >
              > Instead of rocks I would suggest sand bags. Myles had some metal ingots
              that we used for weights
              > on the "Elizabeth Wrecks". Did you check with him?
              >
              > Uadahlrich
              >

              >>FIRE FOR EFFECT!
              >>
              >>Hrolf "the Harasser" Jameson
              >>
              >>Honored Husband of Kara Isaksdottir
              >>Baronial Bard of the Barony of Fenix
              >>Sergeant-Warder of the Royal Caravanserai at Besmaya
              >>Holder of the Midrealm Warrior Award
              >>Paid Member
              >>
              >>My front is pushed back. My right gives way. Situation excellent! I am
              attacking!
              >>- Ferdinand Foch, 1916 AD
              >>
              >>www.outdoorsunlimited.net

              Groups Links

              > "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Take his fish away and tell him
              he's lucky just to be
              > alive, and he'll figure out how to catch another one for you to take
              tomorrow."

              > PeoplePC Online
              > A better way to Internet
              > http://www.peoplepc.com

              16:35:00
            • Warlord of Iowa
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 6, 2009
                Hello -

                The throwing arm I have set up is approximately 6'ft long with a box that is about 16" x 16". The
                arm will not move with out weight in the box or "human assist."

                Right now, the goal is to throw only tennis balls unless somebody comes up with "one night at band
                camp" type hi-jinks.

                Any suggestions?

              • WBFOUNTAIN@aol.com

                  > There is a lot more G force on the drive mass at the bottom of it's arc then
                  > you might think. Burlap might not be sufficient. My small demo treb (8'
                  > throwing arm 16" drive arm) has a wooden box about 32x16x16 that we fill
                  > with rocks and such. The weight of the empty box alone is enough to throw
                  > small ammo. Somewhere, someplace is a bunch of interesting calculations (for
                  > people who find that stuff interesting) which pretty much shows that once
                  > your drive mass is 100 times your projectile mass then you aren't getting
                  > much more bang for your pound (assuming your throwing arm isn't heavily
                  > over-built). Since SCA combat ammo is less then one pound, I don't see much
                  > reason to design a combat treb with much more then 150lbs of drive mass. But
                  > I'd build the box strong enough to support 3 times that as a minimum.
                  >
                  > happy shooting!
                  >
                  > Sean

                  burlap
                  >>>bags full of rocks.)
                  >>
                  >> Instead of rocks I would suggest sand bags. Myles had some metal ingots
                  > that we used for weights
                  >> on the "Elizabeth Wrecks". Did you check with him?
                  >>
                  >> Uadahlrich
                  >>

                  >>>FIRE FOR EFFECT!
                  >>>
                  >>>Hrolf "the Harasser" Jameson
                  >>>
                  >>>Honored Husband of Kara Isaksdottir
                  >>>Baronial Bard of the Barony of Fenix
                  >>>Sergeant-Warder of the Royal Caravanserai at Besmaya
                  >>>Holder of the Midrealm Warrior Award
                  >>>Paid Member
                  >>>
                  >>>My front is pushed back. My right gives way. Situation excellent! I am
                  > attacking!
                  >>>- Ferdinand Foch, 1916 AD
                  >>>
                  >>>www.outdoorsunlimited.net

                  > Groups Links
                  >>>

                  >> "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Take his fish away and tell him
                  > he's lucky just to be
                  >> alive, and he'll figure out how to catch another one for you to take
                  > tomorrow."

                  >> PeoplePC Online
                  >> A better way to Internet
                  >> http://www.peoplepc.com

                  > 16:35:00

                  Links

                  Links

                  tured@yahoogroups.com

                • Amber Fox
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 6, 2009
                    If the box isn't heavy enough to fully counterbalance the rest of the arm,
                    maybe you should try shaving the other end of the arm.
                    Foremost, you want the arm to stay strong enough to support the sling, the
                    ammo, lifting the full bucket, and the rotational forces of being in
                    motion.
                    However, the more weight you remove from the Sling-end, especially as you
                    get close to the spike, the more efficient your machine is going to be.

                    Weights: The treb I worked on used old excersize weight-plates. You can
                    get them free/cheap from storage-unit managers (they're frequently found
                    during a clean out/repo of forgotten units and they can't be sold for
                    much).

                    Since the plates are pre-labled you know how much is going in and it's
                    easier to adjust for the range. Placing the small plates in last makes
                    it easier to do fine tuning.
                    Take out a 2.5lb, put in a 1lb instead, and the like.

                    -Swannoc Foxton
                    East Kingdom
                  • Warlord of Iowa
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 7, 2009
                      Hello -

                      Tanks for the input!

                      Well, currently the arm is 6 feet long with 1/5 of the arm forward of the bar it rotates on. (Bar
                      is a metal pipe with PVC sleeves as we wanted it to come apart for travel purposes.) The trigger is
                      a "gate hook" which gets yanked out of the way by a long rope so no one gets whacked by the arm when
                      firing.

                      Earlier in this thread, there was a suggestion that I NOT use Burlap. I just plan on throwing
                      tennis balls at this point (singles and "legal" clusters). Any suggestions on "sling science?"

                      Also where to get a bolt that won't come out of the back end of the throwing arm when it rotates
                      around for "sling release?" I am using a thin metal strap right now which is screwed to the
                      underside of the "throwing arm." I am afraid that this may prove to be poorly placed and interfer
                      with the sling when it rotates into firing position. It was not easy to find a metal rod that was
                      threaded on one end and smooth on the other at the hardware store.

                      I should be picking up some Burlap on Monday so I can make bags for counter-weights. I did like the
                      "water bottle" idea that was mentioned earlier in the thread though. It was a good combination of
                      having a safe supply of water for emergencies and adjusting the counter-weight at the same time.