Re: new rules

  • Warry
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2008
      What I find interesting in this whole discussion is the way this has been addressed in Lochac.

      Combat in my fair kingdom has this safety restriction on it (I am paraphrasing as I don't have the actual rule book at hand as I'm typing this). In any combat that is to involve CA or Siege, solid wire mesh must fitted to the helm to prevent any object entering the helm.

      This allows Combat Archers in Lochac to use more realistic ammunition (in fact we use arrows with a rubber blunt on them) and also prevents the kind of injuries that have been mentioned and speculated about in this list over a number of months.

      Perhaps the other kingdoms might want to take a look at what their antipodean cousins are doing. After all I believe that we are all in this society to learn from each others efforts.

      Anyways that is my two pieces of silver.
      Rodri Ysoglaig
      (Sometimes mad siege engineer on the dark side)
      -------
      "Come to the dark side my friend, we have boiled lollies"

    • Sean Powell
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2008
        Rodri,
        It's not such a bad idea but it runs counter to the mentality and character
        of some other kingdoms. We are already witnessing a dispersal from the field
        by certain senior members for certain archer/siege inclusive battles. These
        are generally the people who are vocally against CA and siege anyway.
        I suspect that if you proposed a battle under "Locac rules" for a major
        event like Pennsic, even if you gave sufficient notice, would see maybe
        20-40 people would have appropriate gear (bows and/or armor). I think that
        the number attending might even DECREASE the following year if people do not
        have fun on the first year.
        If I had a time machine and could go back 40 years we would have different
        armor and engagement rules for the entire society. :) wouldn't that be nice.
        Sean

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2008
          Gretting Mikeive Sufutu As say back in the day that we are playing
          at dinet they have CAs so why are the HF haveing a duck! They arent
          bbeing shot by the real thing like back in the ! We are out to have
          fun so lets have a little give on all sides not just one side.Thanks
          all.

          --- In
          SCA-Siege@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Powell" <powell.sean@...> wrote:

          > Rodri,
          > It's not such a bad idea but it runs counter to the mentality
          and character
          > of some other kingdoms. We are already witnessing a dispersal from
          the field
          > by certain senior members for certain archer/siege inclusive
          battles. These
          > are generally the people who are vocally against CA and siege
          anyway.
          > I suspect that if you proposed a battle under "Locac rules"
          for a major
          > event like Pennsic, even if you gave sufficient notice, would see
          maybe
          > 20-40 people would have appropriate gear (bows and/or armor). I
          think that
          > the number attending might even DECREASE the following year if
          people do not
          > have fun on the first year.
          > If I had a time machine and could go back 40 years we would
          have different
          > armor and engagement rules for the entire society. :) wouldn't that
          be nice.
          > Sean

          Yahoo! Groups
          > Links

        • sufutu2
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2008
            Gretting Mikeive Sufutu As say back in the day that we are playing
            at dinet they have CAs so why are the HF haveing a duck! They arent
            bbeing shot by the real thing like back in the ! We are out to have
            fun so lets have a little give on all sides not just one side.Thanks
            all.

            --- In
            SCA-Siege@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Powell" <powell.sean@...> wrote:

            > Rodri,
            > It's not such a bad idea but it runs counter to the mentality
            and character
            > of some other kingdoms. We are already witnessing a dispersal from
            the field
            > by certain senior members for certain archer/siege inclusive
            battles. These
            > are generally the people who are vocally against CA and siege
            anyway.
            > I suspect that if you proposed a battle under "Locac rules"
            for a major
            > event like Pennsic, even if you gave sufficient notice, would see
            maybe
            > 20-40 people would have appropriate gear (bows and/or armor). I
            think that
            > the number attending might even DECREASE the following year if
            people do not
            > have fun on the first year.
            > If I had a time machine and could go back 40 years we would
            have different
            > armor and engagement rules for the entire society. :) wouldn't that
            be nice.
            > Sean

          • Bruce S. R. Lee
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
              Rodri

              This is well plowed ground.

              In Lochac the game that we play is actually the way that CA used to
              be played in the western kingdoms - West, Caid, An Tir back in the
              days when Lochac was a Crown Principality of the West. There were a
              number of historical incidents that have changed that game for the
              rest of the Known World which I won't go into here.

              As things stand, the 'anti-mesh' lobby seem to have control and are
              likely to continue to do so. The only way I can see this changing is
              if someone with a recognized disability were to sue the SCA (USA) on
              the grounds that the changes in the CA and/or Seige rules stopped
              them from enjoying an activity that they could otherwise take part in
              - and I think it would have to do primarily with the 'full contact'
              rules, not mesh. Unfortunately I have seen someone post elsewhere
              that they would refuse to accept a 'light' combatant yielding and
              continue to hit them - something that in most places would get the
              Police involved and turn the whole thing into an almighty excrement fight.

              Another lobby group is the 'it must be a good blow' group - who seem
              to be insisting that all CA & Siege shots must hit as hard as a
              rattan sword no matter what the range, and then whine that missiles
              hit too hard - an ongoing problem that is being thrashed out still,
              with new designs being tested by a number of good people.

              At the moment everything is in a state of flux, which is annoying the
              heck out of a large number of people, and causing quite a few to
              reconsider their involvement in a variety of SCA activities.

              regards
              Brusi of Orkney, OP etc.
              2nd EM Cr. Pr. Lochac
              First Archery Marshal, Cr. Pr. Lochac