11746Re: [SCA-Siege] Pennsic War XLII Siege Marshal Event Report

  • Rick Greene
    Aug 10, 2013
      If a lowly Marshal-in-Training might offer up some ideas with regards to
      the Siege war point...

      One thing I saw from behind the fort was that wind was a significant
      factor this year.

      Last year, there was a lot of "hits" on the ground targets, but as I
      recall there was very little to no wind then. This year, there was a
      significant wind from left to right (as viewed by the siege crews) that
      was drastically increasing the difficulty.

      Could flags be added to the fort wall during this competition to help
      crews gauge wind direction and strength?

      Another thought would be to allow all engines a set of ranging shots,
      not just the trebuchet. Crew spotters could be allowed for this. Let
      each engine fire one shot at a named target with crew spotter on the
      wall. Spotter reports result, crew adjusts and fires a second shot.
      Spotter comes back and reports on that, and then the competition firing
      begins, with Marshal spotting as before.

      Another idea to encourage the crews to spread their shots out would be
      to limit the number of hits the targets on the wall can take in a given
      round. Give them a 5-hit limit for the wall targets, then they'd have
      to try shooting over the wall. Sort of like the advancing man shoot in
      archery (if I'm remembering that right).

      I would like to commend Diccon on the decision to have all crews inspect
      the field at once at the beginning...that made the entire thing seem to
      run faster and more smoothly than the year before.

      Humbly,
      Wormwood