New & Qwestions

  • Ragna Þorsdóttir
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2003
      Hello All,

      I am new to this list serv, and quite happy I found it!

      Since my hair is Thrall Short, I'm very interested in the early
      period head coverings such as veils and wimples and such. My
      question is, can I make a filet (sp) that *doesn't* look like a
      coffee filter? I prefer smooth, clean lines with my garb - less fru-
      fru, the better. I have a yard or two of buckram....

      Basically, I'm just looking for some "generic" head covering...any
      suggestions welcome.

      My persona, as such, is Anglo-Viking (if that makes any sense.)
      Still trying to nail down specifics.

      Ragna
      Azure Keep, An Tir
    • Aimee M Moran <amoran@bossys.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2003
        Milady Ragna -

        I'm thinking that you mean the circlet/filet that often goes over a
        wimple. In that case, virtually every variation in height, angle,
        texture, and construction material is likely. For example, the
        extreme case of being "straight up" - in the Middle Kingdom, at least
        <smile> - is the royal crowns. Most crowns and circlets (which are,
        of course, just metal filets) have straight sides, at least around
        here. That style seems to suit relatively tall, slim persons. A more
        flared look seems to suit more generously rounded figures. Either
        way, this is a very flattering style on an wide variety of people,
        but the shape must suit the wearer and the outfit.

        The key for me was making mockups of the hat. Using file-folder
        cardboard, shape and staple it until it fits on your head properly,
        then put it on over (or under) a veil and/or wimple and check it out
        in a three-way mirror. Make a couple, with different amounts of curve
        in the edge touching the head, start with a wide band, and
        progressively cut away the width. I was surprised, and I think you
        will be too, at how much difference 1/4" height difference makes in
        the appearance of the hat.

        This is a good time to experiment with draping veils under and/or
        over the form as well.

        If you have a digital camera, you might find it handy to have a
        friend photograph your mockup at several stages of shaping, and from
        several angles.

        Once you've got the shape, you're ready to cut it out of that
        buckram, and cover it with fabric coordinating to your garb. Under
        any circumstances, the coffee filter look is entirely avoidable!

        Hope this helps -

        Catherine Aimee Le Moyne, OP
        Roaring Wastes, Midrealm

        <alapp@...>

      • danabren@juno.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2003
          May I suggest
          http://baronmorgan.gallowglass.org/articles/cna07_plantaganetcap.html

          This is the class handout for a (generally) annual Pennsic class. It
          includes instructions and some photos of manuscripts & sculptures. There
          are multiple examples of straight-sided, angled, pleated, smooth, circlet
          & pillbox styles in period so it's MOSTLY impossible to do this
          incorrectly.

          Hope it helps,
          Danabren

          > > From: Ragna Þorsdóttir <alapp@...>
          > app@...>
          > > Subject: New & Qwestions
          > >
          > > Hello All,
          > >
          > > I am new to this list serv, and quite happy I found it!
          > >
          > > Since my hair is Thrall Short, I'm very interested in the early
          > > period head coverings such as veils and wimples and such. My
          > > question is, can I make a filet (sp) that *doesn't* look like a
          > > coffee filter? I prefer smooth, clean lines with my garb - less
          > fru-
          > > fru, the better. I have a yard or two of buckram....

          > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners
          >
          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you
          want to annoy for the rest of your life.

          Only $9.95 per month!
          Visit www.juno.com