Re: [SCA-Milliners] Making Medieval Hats: beaded veils?

  • Leah Lloyd
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2000
      On Fri, 06 Oct 2000 17:52:43 -0400 Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@...>
      writes:
      > The info about the wonderful veil lady reminded me: I'm on a "when I
      > remember" hunt for pre-1400 pictures of veils with beads on the
      > edge.
      > Previous hunts have turned up some post-1400 veils with beads, and
      > "someone" once told me there were clear beads on veils in the
      > Wenceslas Bible, but I've been unable to find such pictures.
      >
      > Has anyone got good sources on this?

      Any clear picture from the period of Christine de Pisan (eg, Book of the
      City of Ladies) will show a gorget with spaced edge beads worn by
      Christine herself, or ladies wearing the double-horned hennin with veils
      in which she is usually depicted.

      I remember being SO excited when I realized what they were!! LOL

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.