Re: [SCA-Milliners] Making Medieval Hats

  • EHW
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
      On 2 Oct 2000, at 22:08, Leah Lloyd wrote:

      > > >my research has told me that only Princesses (and Queens)
      > > >were allowed to wear that style of hat in a height of
      > > >greater than 22".
      > >
      > > I've heard similar things as well, but never gotten around to
      > > tracking
      > > them down. Could you share where you found this information?
      >
      > *sigh* I KNEW someone was going to call me on this. I will hunt it
      > down and post it as soon as I find it.
      >
      > Danabren

      It is my understanding that sumptuary laws were often in place to
      bring in income to the kingdom. If someone broke the sump. law
      then they would be fined. To break the law meant you could afford
      to do so and hence gained you certain social standing. I know this
      was true in England during certain time periods, I don't know about
      others so it could be wrong with reference to the above question.
      Astridhr
    • kcncress@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 4, 2000
        In a message dated 10/3/00 8:19:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        danabren@... writes:

        Are you the Dejaniera referred to as The Veil Lady here in the East, who
        used to sell veils at Pennsic? I had her card but promptly lost it, and
        there are lots of Easterners who are bereft without her wares....

        No, but I would wager you are speaking of Mistress Myra Needlesang. I
        checked my newsletters for an address, but will have to look her up and let
        her know you inquired of her. She usually attends our Lilies War in early
        June, and sells her veils there.....I have two myself!

        Dejaniera
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 4, 2000
          > Mistress Myra Needlesang. [...] She usually attends our Lilies War in early
          > June, and sells her veils there.....I have two myself!

          Could you tell us about these wonderful veils?

          "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet LXXXI
          "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia V.
        • Leah Lloyd
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 4, 2000
            On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 08:32:24 -0400 Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@...>
            writes:

            > > Mistress Myra Needlesang. [...] She usually attends our Lilies War
            > in early
            > > June, and sells her veils there.....I have two myself!
            >
            > Could you tell us about these wonderful veils?

            Ooooooo - if she's who used to be a part of the Calontir Small Merchants
            Guild (?) about 4 years back, yay! She has a machine which rolls the
            edges of veils beautifully. They are the perfect weight, soft pre-washed
            cotton, in various colors. Every Norman persona should have a dozen of
            her wares! Various lengths and sizes as well, from small round to 6'
            ovals. I find them extremely versatile for using as gorgets, coifs,
            wimples, layered normans, extra layers atop hennins.....basically
            anywhere that I need a veil where I don't want to use sheer silk, I use
            one of her veils. It used to be a tradition among some friends of mine,
            that every year, no matter what else we wanted, come Pennsic we would go
            to the Veil Lady FIRST and buy a new veil. We've been bereft without her
            to look forward to, and every year the 1st one out there has the sad
            responsibility of reporting that once again she's still not there.

            Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
          • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 9, 2001
              Greetings,

              --- In SCA-Milliners@egroups.com, Irene leNoir <irene@i...> wrote:
              <snip

              > >my research has told me that only Princesses (and Queens)
              > >were allowed to wear that style of hat in a height of
              > >greater than 22".
              >
              > I've heard similar things as well, but never gotten around to
              tracking
              > them down. Could you share where you found this information?

              Yes please! Hennins have always interested me. Although I'm rather
              afraid to do one given the fact that I'm 5'10".

              <snip>

              > >And what do you do about lappets?
              >
              > I just don't have them. I prefer the plain style.

              Do any of you have pictures of you in your hennins? I would love to
              see them.

              Cheers,
              Gwendoline
            • Leah Lloyd
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 9, 2001
                > > >my research has told me that only Princesses (and Queens)
                > > >were allowed to wear that style of hat in a height of
                > > >greater than 22".
                > >
                > > I've heard similar things as well, but never gotten around to
                > tracking them down. Could you share where you found this information?
                >
                > Yes please! Hennins have always interested me. Although I'm rather
                > afraid to do one given the fact that I'm 5'10".

                I am actually still poking around for the info - haven't forgotten!

                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
              • Irene leNoir
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 9, 2001
                  >Do any of you have pictures of you in your hennins?
                  >I would love to see them.

                  Unfortunately I don't. I don't suppose by any chance that you live in
                  the East Kingdom?

                  Jessica Clark
                  SCA: Irène leNoir
                  irene@...
                  http://home.ici.net/~beowulf/jessica
                • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 10, 2001
                    Greetings,

                    --- In SCA-Milliners@egroups.com, Irene leNoir <irene@i...> wrote:
                    > >Do any of you have pictures of you in your hennins?
                    > >I would love to see them.
                    >
                    > Unfortunately I don't. I don't suppose by any chance that you live
                    in
                    > the East Kingdom?

                    Nope, unfortunately I don't. I live in Ealdormere. : ) I suppose
                    you're like me and have hardly any pictures of yourself? My thing is
                    usually Elizabethan tall hats.

                    Cheers,
                    Gwendoline