Re: [SCA-Milliners] Making Medieval Hats

  • Leah Lloyd
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 2, 2000
      > >my research has told me that only Princesses (and Queens)
      > >were allowed to wear that style of hat in a height of
      > >greater than 22".
      >
      > I've heard similar things as well, but never gotten around to
      > tracking
      > them down. Could you share where you found this information?

      *sigh* I KNEW someone was going to call me on this. I will hunt it down
      and post it as soon as I find it.

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • kcncress@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
        Irene was not so far off with the window screen hennin. Is it so far fetched
        that a metal frame could be made, and possibly a wire mesh used to support
        the extreme height of these hats?

        We have a standing "arguement" here in Calontir, among the Milliners. I
        firmly beleive that there are heads out there that are just not shaped to
        accomodate tall hennins. Notice the variety of styles worn when it was
        popular. I also personally feel that hair was the base shape that helped
        hold an extreme headpeice in place. Also, a cap of some sort helps to
        stabilize the structure....hair is sooooo slippery.

        I am a felter. Extreme shapes and odd styles of medieval hats are so much
        fun to make. I would agree that felt for a steeple hennin would require alot
        of starch/glue/stiffener, and wouldn't be the best choice for this hat,
        although felt is a good medium for half hennins and fezes.

        My vote for a stiffening agent for your steeple hennin would be buckram or
        cardboard. Good luck, and keep us posted on your newest headgear!

        Dejaniera de la Mille Coeur
        Barony of Forgotten Sea, Calontir
      • Leah Lloyd
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
          > Dejaniera de la Mille Coeur
          > Barony of Forgotten Sea, Calontir

          Are you the Dejaniera referred to as The Veil Lady here in the East, who
          used to sell veils at Pennsic? I had her card but promptly lost it, and
          there are lots of Easterners who are bereft without her wares....

          Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • EHW
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
            On 2 Oct 2000, at 22:08, Leah Lloyd wrote:

            > > >my research has told me that only Princesses (and Queens)
            > > >were allowed to wear that style of hat in a height of
            > > >greater than 22".
            > >
            > > I've heard similar things as well, but never gotten around to
            > > tracking
            > > them down. Could you share where you found this information?
            >
            > *sigh* I KNEW someone was going to call me on this. I will hunt it
            > down and post it as soon as I find it.
            >
            > Danabren

            It is my understanding that sumptuary laws were often in place to
            bring in income to the kingdom. If someone broke the sump. law
            then they would be fined. To break the law meant you could afford
            to do so and hence gained you certain social standing. I know this
            was true in England during certain time periods, I don't know about
            others so it could be wrong with reference to the above question.
            Astridhr
          • kcncress@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 4, 2000
              In a message dated 10/3/00 8:19:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
              danabren@... writes:

              Are you the Dejaniera referred to as The Veil Lady here in the East, who
              used to sell veils at Pennsic? I had her card but promptly lost it, and
              there are lots of Easterners who are bereft without her wares....

              No, but I would wager you are speaking of Mistress Myra Needlesang. I
              checked my newsletters for an address, but will have to look her up and let
              her know you inquired of her. She usually attends our Lilies War in early
              June, and sells her veils there.....I have two myself!

              Dejaniera
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 4, 2000
                > Mistress Myra Needlesang. [...] She usually attends our Lilies War in early
                > June, and sells her veils there.....I have two myself!

                Could you tell us about these wonderful veils?

                "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet LXXXI
                "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia V.
              • Leah Lloyd
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 4, 2000
                  On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 08:32:24 -0400 Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@...>
                  writes:

                  > > Mistress Myra Needlesang. [...] She usually attends our Lilies War
                  > in early
                  > > June, and sells her veils there.....I have two myself!
                  >
                  > Could you tell us about these wonderful veils?

                  Ooooooo - if she's who used to be a part of the Calontir Small Merchants
                  Guild (?) about 4 years back, yay! She has a machine which rolls the
                  edges of veils beautifully. They are the perfect weight, soft pre-washed
                  cotton, in various colors. Every Norman persona should have a dozen of
                  her wares! Various lengths and sizes as well, from small round to 6'
                  ovals. I find them extremely versatile for using as gorgets, coifs,
                  wimples, layered normans, extra layers atop hennins.....basically
                  anywhere that I need a veil where I don't want to use sheer silk, I use
                  one of her veils. It used to be a tradition among some friends of mine,
                  that every year, no matter what else we wanted, come Pennsic we would go
                  to the Veil Lady FIRST and buy a new veil. We've been bereft without her
                  to look forward to, and every year the 1st one out there has the sad
                  responsibility of reporting that once again she's still not there.

                  Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                  http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 9, 2001
                    Greetings,

                    --- In SCA-Milliners@egroups.com, Irene leNoir <irene@i...> wrote:
                    <snip

                    > >my research has told me that only Princesses (and Queens)
                    > >were allowed to wear that style of hat in a height of
                    > >greater than 22".
                    >
                    > I've heard similar things as well, but never gotten around to
                    tracking
                    > them down. Could you share where you found this information?

                    Yes please! Hennins have always interested me. Although I'm rather
                    afraid to do one given the fact that I'm 5'10".

                    <snip>

                    > >And what do you do about lappets?
                    >
                    > I just don't have them. I prefer the plain style.

                    Do any of you have pictures of you in your hennins? I would love to
                    see them.

                    Cheers,
                    Gwendoline
                  • Leah Lloyd
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 9, 2001
                      > > >my research has told me that only Princesses (and Queens)
                      > > >were allowed to wear that style of hat in a height of
                      > > >greater than 22".
                      > >
                      > > I've heard similar things as well, but never gotten around to
                      > tracking them down. Could you share where you found this information?
                      >
                      > Yes please! Hennins have always interested me. Although I'm rather
                      > afraid to do one given the fact that I'm 5'10".

                      I am actually still poking around for the info - haven't forgotten!

                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                    • Irene leNoir
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 9, 2001
                        >Do any of you have pictures of you in your hennins?
                        >I would love to see them.

                        Unfortunately I don't. I don't suppose by any chance that you live in
                        the East Kingdom?

                        Jessica Clark
                        SCA: Irène leNoir
                        irene@...
                        http://home.ici.net/~beowulf/jessica
                      • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 10, 2001
                          Greetings,

                          --- In SCA-Milliners@egroups.com, Irene leNoir <irene@i...> wrote:
                          > >Do any of you have pictures of you in your hennins?
                          > >I would love to see them.
                          >
                          > Unfortunately I don't. I don't suppose by any chance that you live
                          in
                          > the East Kingdom?

                          Nope, unfortunately I don't. I live in Ealdormere. : ) I suppose
                          you're like me and have hardly any pictures of yourself? My thing is
                          usually Elizabethan tall hats.

                          Cheers,
                          Gwendoline