Houppelande and Hat Heaven

  • susanmrichardson <susanmrichardson@hotmai
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 19, 2002
      Greetings,

      I was looking through Amazon for books covering painted tapestries
      when I stumbled across "Medieval Life & Leisure in the
      Devonshire Hunting Tapestries." While the Devonshire tapestries are
      woven, rather than painted, I am thrilled at the prospect of owning a
      book that offers a glimpse of houppelande and hat heaven!

      Regards,
      Sabine
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 19, 2002
        susanmrichardson wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > I was looking through Amazon for books covering painted tapestries
        > when I stumbled across "Medieval Life & Leisure in the
        > Devonshire Hunting Tapestries." While the Devonshire tapestries are
        > woven, rather than painted, I am thrilled at the prospect of owning a
        > book that offers a glimpse of houppelande and hat heaven!

        Oh, my! This must be new, and a good thing. Those tapestries are a
        gold mine of this stuff, and have been darn hard to find good images
        thereof. The V&A published a large book on them a couple decades back
        (I got a copy via Alibris a year or so ago) and that's about all you
        ever see of them. I only found out about them due to the Medieval
        Lovers Book of Days that was published some 11 years ago or so.

        --
        Cynthia Virtue and/or
        Cynthia du Pré Argent

        Don't postpone joy.
        -- seen on a bumper sticker
      • susanmrichardson <susanmrichardson@hotmai
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2003
          This book is wonderful with lots of detailed pictures of the
          gowns, the hats and the jewelry for both men and women. There is
          even a woman's cotehardie with laced sleeves. I am thrilled and
          think this one is a wise investment for those who love houppelandes.

          Sabine

          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "susanmrichardson

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2003
            susanmrichardson wrote:
            > I am thrilled and
            > think this one is a wise investment for those who love houppelandes.
            >>I was looking through Amazon for books covering painted tapestries
            >>when I stumbled across "Medieval Life & Leisure in the
            >>Devonshire Hunting Tapestries."

            Er. I posted my quick review to the UVM garb list, but not here. It
            has many great detail views of the Tapestries, but it misses out on most
            of what's in them, does not reproduce a view of the whole of the four
            tapestries, and doesn't footnote assertions.

            I think it's a bit fluffy, although pretty, and the money would be
            better spent (if you're on a budget) as part of buying the book the V&A
            came out with a couple decades back; I found mine on Alibris. I think
            it was $50; this new one via Amazon was $31. However, if someone has
            the money for both, by all means buy this one also.

            --
            Cynthia Virtue and/or
            Cynthia du Pré Argent

            Cozy flannel sheets
            Also flannel jammies,
            Velcro created.
          • susanmrichardson <susanmrichardson@hotmai
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
              I bow before superior knowledge and experience. Forgive me if
              my posting misled anyone.

              Sabine

              --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@t...>

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
                susanmrichardson wrote:
                > I bow before superior knowledge and experience. Forgive me if
                > my posting misled anyone.
                >
                > Sabine

                Oh, dear. I didn't mean to sound superior, just to give another view.
                I'm sorry.

                --
                Cynthia Virtue and/or
                Cynthia du Pré Argent

                Cozy flannel sheets
                Also flannel jammies,
                Velcro created.
              • Juliane de Vivonne <bkessinger@ureach.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
                  Cynthia,

                  Can you give the full info on the other book as I would like to try
                  and find both books. Thanks!

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
                    You have no cause to apologize. My daughters are band members so
                    we view the term "superior" as the best rating one can receive. I do
                    bow before superior knowledge and experience and hope that your
                    review saved others from investing in this book when there is a
                    better one available.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
                      Juliane de Vivonne wrote:
                      > Cynthia,
                      >
                      > Can you give the full info on the other book as I would like to try
                      > and find both books. Thanks!

                      I'll go find it this weekend. It's somewhere in the "library" (ie, the
                      garage which is full of books. Cars can stand the snow, books can't!

                      --
                      Cynthia Virtue and/or
                      Cynthia du Pré Argent

                      Cozy flannel sheets