Re: Coffee filter hat

  • Juliane de Vivonne
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 5, 2002
      I have Cynthia's pages bookmarked and return to them regularly. :)

      Part of the problem is that I am not sure which of the hats I want
      to wear. I KNOW without a doubt that if I tried to wear a henin,
      someone would lose an eye... so no to that. I like the truncated
      henin, but am worried about keeping it on. I look for baskets to use
      as a base when I think of it.. no luck so far. Has anyone tried
      plastic canvas or anything like that?

      I am greatly enamored of the idea of doing the templars heartshaped
      hat thingie with the caul embroidered etc, but fear the reality will
      be far different than the vision.

      I think with your help I might actually do this!

      Juliane

      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 5, 2002
        lhaff@... wrote:

        > These hats are not too hard to make. I wear Burgundian although my persona
        > is Italian. Love those hats. I'm working on written instructions to go with
        > my patterns. As soon as I get them workable I'll share. Be patient as it
        > may take a while.

        Yeah -- be sure to make noise about it. I'm planning (when I get the
        time) to put up some links from my hat pages to other folks' so the more
        I know about, the better!

        --
        Cynthia Virtue and/or
        Cynthia du Pré Argent

        "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet 81
        "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia V.
      • Zohra Rawling
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 5, 2002

          > Yeah -- be sure to make noise about it. I'm planning (when I get the
          > time) to put up some links from my hat pages to other folks' so the more
          > I know about, the better!

          oh fabulous!

          Danabren and I have discussed doing some "how to" pages to share

          ^_^

          Ysabella
        • lhaff@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 6, 2002
            In a message dated 12/5/02 2:39:23 PM Mountain Standard Time,
            cvirtue@... writes:

            <<
            Yeah -- be sure to make noise about it. I'm planning (when I get the
            time) to put up some links from my hat pages to other folks' so the more
            I know about, the better!

            --
            Cynthia Virtue and/or
            Cynthia du Pré Argent

            I've seen your site and it rocks! I will give a yell when i do. Thanks!

            Beatricia
          • jennifer jackson
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 6, 2002
              Cynthia,
              your site was very helpful in making my hat...I used
              your straw hat idea and it turned out great.
              Thank you
              Alisaundre
              --- lhaff@... wrote:
              > In a message dated 12/5/02 2:39:23 PM Mountain
              > Standard Time,
              > cvirtue@... writes:
              >
              > <<
              > Yeah -- be sure to make noise about it. I'm
              > planning (when I get the
              > time) to put up some links from my hat pages to
              > other folks' so the more
              > I know about, the better!
              >
              > --
              > Cynthia Virtue and/or
              > Cynthia du Pr� Argent
              >

              > I've seen your site and it rocks! I will give a
              > yell when i do. Thanks!
              >
              > Beatricia

              =====
              Lady Alisaundre Quinnye
              (mka: Jennifer Jackson)

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • Anahita bint abd al-Karim al-Fassi <lilin
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 6, 2002
                Dejaniera wrote:
                > Isn't 16C Persian, the era where the human form isn't depicted very
                > often?

                As far as i can tell, the human form is frequently depicted in Persian
                art throughout the millennia, both before and after the introduction of
                Islam.

                And there's a huge amount of extremely fine Persia art surviving from
                the 16th c - and human figures are in all of it, except the Qur'an,
                understandably

                Perhaps you are thinking of somewhere else.

                Anahita
              • Anahita bint abd al-Karim al-Fassi <lilin
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 6, 2002
                  Darka wrote:
                  > which style are you making? I've made my best guess at the little
                  > skullcap style that has a veil attached to it (don't have an example
                  > picture available but can probably dig one up). It was a quickie and
                  > made from plastic canvas.

                  I'm looking at the illustrations from Sultan Ibrahim Mirza's Haft
                  awrang as reproduced in:
                  Persian Poetry, Painting, and Patronage: Illustrations in a Sixteenth-
                  Century Masterpiece
                  by Marianna Shreve Simpson.

                  This book is a real necessity for anyone interested in late period
                  Persian anything :-)

                  There's a particular headdress that *appears* to be an embroidered
                  cloth that extends to the shoulders, but only covers the head about
                  halfway back, hanging just behind the ears, with a matching tiny skull
                  cap on the top of the head.

                  The cloth ground is off-white and the decoration is red and blue in a
                  very particular arrangement, such that each side of the cloth is the
                  base of a decorated triangle and the points of all four meet in the
                  center of the cloth; in other words, sort of concentric rectangles. I
                  think the design may be done with pattern darning.

                  There are women wearing this style in Folios 100b, 162a, 188a, 207b,
                  and 215b, and maybe 291a.

                  There are also headdresses that appear to be three layers of patterned
                  cloths arranged such that each one is folded smaller than the layer
                  beneath it, so all layers are displayed. But i'm not sure how they put
                  them together or hold them there. These are in Folios 105a, 110b, 114b,
                  120a, 231a, 253a, and 264a.

                  I'm just not adept with headdresses. With my Persians, i usually just
                  wear a sheer piece of cloth - "veil" - about halfway back on my head,
                  held with a narrow fillet. But this isn't very secure and i've been
                  considering having a narrow band around my head underneath to anchor
                  the "veil" to with pins - i know my Franji friends do this with their
                  head linens.

                  So i'm hoping that someone who is skilled at interpreting art can help
                  me. I can interpret all sorts of other stuff, but i'm sort of stumped
                  by the representations of headdresses.

                  Anahita
                • danabren@juno.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 7, 2002
                    Ooooo ooooo!!!!! I can help with this :) Ysabella and I are in Roxane's
                    service, and as she did Persian last reign & is doing so again, we have
                    learned LOTS about Persian garb and headwear. If you send a picture or
                    upload a file or a link, if I can't help you myself I'll ask her, she
                    being the Eastern Font of All Things Persian.

                    Danabren

                  • kcncress@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 8, 2002
                      In a message dated 12/7/2002 12:28:51 AM Central Standard Time,
                      lilinah@... writes:

                      > Perhaps you are thinking of somewhere else.

                      Anahita.......
                      I think you may be right. I'm on the Seljuk path, but earlier--13C. Your
                      query triggered a discussion I've had with my sister, who has done some
                      research into Turkish 1200's, to the Ottoman takeover. She had "late period"
                      interpretation of the earlier timeperiod, but was frustrated with the lack of
                      extant works of "her" period.

                      She mentioned a similar hat to the one described in this thread. She
                      interprets the hat as something like a "bag hat", but long and squared off at
                      the back, worn very neetly folded at proper angles. I think too, the hair
                      may have been worn down, sculpturally configured to a fish like "tail".

                      I'll see if I can get ahold of the site specifics if you'd like.

                      Calontir,
                      Barony of Forgotten Sea