re: Persian headgear

  • Stacia
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2000
      Greetings,

      There's quite a variety of heargear options to choose from in Persian
      costume. As with any costuming, it depends on time. So I'll speak in
      general. The easiest and most common option is a simple veil which usually
      falls mid-back, sometimes it is shorter. One can wear it "wimple" style or
      fold the corners up so your ears show. Sometimes a band is worn across the
      forhead and tied at the back of the head over the veil. Another variation
      is kerchiefs that were worn with an end point sticking up--you would need to
      look at an illumination to see what I mean as it sounds rather odd just
      describing it. The veils come in a mulititude of colors, but mostly white,
      and the kerchiefs are commonly patterned. The fabric used would have been
      silk, but I sometimes use cotton (which persians would have had access to
      as it was grown and used to make cloth in India).

      Women commonly wore their hair in braids. The ladies would add braids of
      silk to their hair to make it appear longer.

      There are several hat options for women. As with the veils, I would suggest
      that you review some of the persian illuminations in order to choose a
      style.

      Please email me if you need any more information.

      Maestra Isabetta