Hennin

  • olwenwhytmarshe
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
      I want to make a hennin, but it will be of VERY delicate fabric, as
      it's for a Medieval/Renaissance/Fairy wedding guest. I'm thinking of
      a sheer fabric, wired, for the fantasy effect. Any thoughts?
    • Carolin vom Adlersberg
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2003
        Greetings everyone,

        I am planning on making a truncated hennin and I am not sure with what
        kind of fabric to cover it. What do people usually use? Silk? velvet?
        Wool? Personally I think silk is too shiny if you look closely at the
        paintings of women wearing hennins.

        Any suggestions?

        Thanks!
        Carolin
      • Illish O'Donovan
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2003
          Hello!

          I am some-what new to the list (two months) so I have never posted only
          watched but I thought I would throw in my two cents on this one.
          I have constructed several truncated hennins experimenting with fabrics
          and I find that cotton velvet and wool work great! Even a heavier weight
          linen will handle well and lay nice. Personally I prefer cotton velvet.

          Just my two cents
          Ilish
          Aethelmearc

          Message 4 of 4 , May 8, 2003
            Illish O'Donovan wrote:
            > I have constructed several truncated hennins experimenting with fabrics
            > and I find that cotton velvet and wool work great! Even a heavier weight
            > linen will handle well and lay nice. Personally I prefer cotton velvet.

            Yeah!

            I really like the deep rich look of darker velvet/eens and wools, but
            I've also made truncated cone hats with damask fabric -- there are a
            couple of pictures that show patterning in the fabrics of the time. I
            think they turned out nicely. In general, though, I think the plain
            fabrics are wonderful.

            --
            Cynthia Virtue and/or
            Cynthia du Pré Argent

            The May 15, 2003 Total Eclipse of the Moon -- totallity starts 11:14pm
            Eastern.