Re: [SCA-Milliners] Fwd: Straw Hat Help?

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2000
      Looks like the list won't forward encapsulated messages -- you'll have
      to resend the message inline instead of as an attachment.

    • kcncress@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2000
        OOops! Sorry to keep everyone guessing!

        The question came to the SCA-Arts list from a woman in, I beleive, Atlantia,
        wondering about straw hats in period, and looking for good primary
        documentation. There has been alot of interest in the Millinery list from
        the Arts group, since I mentioned checking here for the "Straw Hat " quandry,
        so maybe we'll see some new folks checking into hats!

        She mentioned the Duke du Berry pictures--Book of days stuff, but wanted
        more. Anyone who is able to help, post here and I'll be happy to try to
        patch it over to the Arts list.

        Dejaniera,
        Calontir
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2000
          For starters, the hat that "Mr. Arnolfini" wears is black straw -- even
          on the medieval women calender, you can see that it is, near the top
          where there's a highlight. One of the White Company folks in the UK
          pointed this out on a costume list a few years back; he saw the original
          and was floored. ;)

          "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet LXXXI
          "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia V.
        • Poong
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 31, 2000
            --- In SCA-Milliners@egroups.com, Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@t...> wrote:
            > For starters, the hat that "Mr. Arnolfini" wears is black straw --
            even
            > on the medieval women calender, you can see that it is, near the top
            > where there's a highlight. One of the White Company folks in the UK
            > pointed this out on a costume list a few years back; he saw the
            original
            > and was floored. ;)
            >
            > --
            > Cynthia du Pré Argent
            > "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet LXXXI
            > "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia V.

            Do you have a link to this painting where it can be viewed online?

            Thanks,
            Beatrice