Re: [SCA-Milliners] Turbans

  • kcncress@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2000
      Ever watch those runway shows on the tele? Designers come up with all sorts
      of wacky headcoverings. Look at our teens, and the styles they come up with.
      I would surmise the same thing occured--perhaps with a tad more
      restraint--in the middle ages.

      I agree with you. I have long beleived the padded roll and it's relatives,
      were a fashion derived from returning crusaders stories. Who knows, (or will
      ever know) if it began as a plumper than usual headrail. We know they
      (headrails) grew up, in height; why not grow out as well? Every face shape
      has a hatshape, or maybe the "lateral width" fashion drove the turban shape.

      As far as wrapped or formed, I have pictures of both. Do keep in mind the
      medium used for representation. Paintings and sculptures can't always be
      taken verbatum. I know I've not helped to answer any questions here.
      Millinery is a very individual and personal thing. I just had to put a plug
      in for my theory....that you can do whatever you like, and can rationalize,
      if the end product looks period!

      Dejaniera
      Barony of Forgotten Sea, Calontir