Re: [SCA-Milliners] Turbans

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2000
      Hi Folks,

      I wear turbans with the mid 15th-cent short-sleeve kirtles that go under
      houppelandes (if one is being fancy). I don't think I've yet seen
      pictures of Burgundian houps with turbans, though; can you point me
      towards the pictures you're thinking of? Sounds interesting.

      These days, my turbans are copied from the one I bought from Black Swan
      two years ago: 5 yards of fabric 1' wide, with a little T section in the
      very middle that helps anchor the wraps. The ones for fancy are linen,
      the ones for everyday are cotton gauze, ironed.

      I've also heard the "returning crusaders" source, and am willing to
      believe it, since the timing works fairly well. I wrap mine by putting
      the middle over my forehead, and wrapping one circuit with each side,
      alternating, until I'm done. I tuck the ends in, and then tuck the T
      bit over the back wraps and up under the wraps at the back of my neck.
      The Van der Weyden painting of the seven sacraments, center panel, shows
      a partially wrapped version; I think they were put directly on the head,
      rather than on some sort of base. Might have been pinned to braids as
      well, but mine seem to work ok without any anchor other than tension.

      This week, I'm working on the middle-class caul arrangement that's
      entirely covered with white linen, but looks a bit like a horned
      "hennin." I haven't tried this one before, but it will go with my
      middle-class houp.

      cv

      "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet LXXXI
      "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia V.

      SCA scroll translations: Translators wanted! <http://translate.thibault.org>
    • kcncress@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 13, 2000
        Ever watch those runway shows on the tele? Designers come up with all sorts
        of wacky headcoverings. Look at our teens, and the styles they come up with.
        I would surmise the same thing occured--perhaps with a tad more
        restraint--in the middle ages.

        I agree with you. I have long beleived the padded roll and it's relatives,
        were a fashion derived from returning crusaders stories. Who knows, (or will
        ever know) if it began as a plumper than usual headrail. We know they
        (headrails) grew up, in height; why not grow out as well? Every face shape
        has a hatshape, or maybe the "lateral width" fashion drove the turban shape.

        As far as wrapped or formed, I have pictures of both. Do keep in mind the
        medium used for representation. Paintings and sculptures can't always be
        taken verbatum. I know I've not helped to answer any questions here.
        Millinery is a very individual and personal thing. I just had to put a plug
        in for my theory....that you can do whatever you like, and can rationalize,
        if the end product looks period!

        Dejaniera
        Barony of Forgotten Sea, Calontir