Re: [SCA-Milliners] Phrygian caps

  • István László
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2000
      Hi! Joan Allen here I was begening to wonder if any one was going to post to this news group . Phrygian caps are realy byzantine 6th century but thay were influncing fashion a lot at that time so there could have been some in france.
      Lady AElia
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2000
        One form or another of the Phrygian cap was worn all over the world. It
        resurfaces about every 200 yrs, and at times was the sign of great power. I
        usually refer to it as the "baseball cap" in early history.

        This is an easily constructed "bag hat", with personal style or geography
        influencing the fullness in the crown, that results in an elf tip--if pulled
        up or back, or somewhat of a brim--if pulled forward. It is first seen in
        Greek art about 1000 BC, and was the official headdress of the Doge of
        Venice, in the end of the fifteenth century.

        Dejaniera de la Mille Coeur
        Calontir
      • Kirsten Garner
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2000
          Greetings..

          > One form or another of the Phrygian cap was worn all over the
          world.
          It
          > resurfaces about every 200 yrs, and at times was the sign of great
          power. I
          > usually refer to it as the "baseball cap" in early history.
          >
          > This is an easily constructed "bag hat", with personal style or
          geography
          > influencing the fullness in the crown, that results in an elf
          tip--if pulled
          > up or back, or somewhat of a brim--if pulled forward. It is first
          seen in
          > Greek art about 1000 BC, and was the official headdress of the Doge
          of
          > Venice, in the end of the fifteenth century.

          I've also got copies of Welsh manuscripts (which aren't with me at
          the
          moment so I'll guess on the dates) - 12th or 14th century - clearly
          showing the men wearing something that looks awfully like a Phrygian
          cap. Of course, the Welsh manuscripts are on the same artistic level
          am (and that's way WAY down there), so who knows? ;) But there's
          possibly another example :)

          Julian ferch Rhys
          Atenveldt