Hatpin question

  • Jeanne Harney
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2002
      Hi, all...delurking to ask a question. A dear friend of mine is a
      lampworker and wants to make period hatpins/stickpins with brass and/or
      sterling shafts and beads on the end. I know that something similar was
      used in period, but he asked me how long they needed to be (he's thinking
      4-5 inches) and I haven't a clue. I've also never seen photos of extant
      hatpins. Am I way off base or were these indeed used in period, and can
      anyone give me any specifics?
      BTW, his persona is 1500's Venetian, as that's where/when the lampworked
      glass craze started...but he doesn't care what period they're from as long
      as they're correct.

      Jeanne
      A headon collision between Morticia Adams and Martha Stewart.
    • danabren@juno.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2002
        There is a photo of a double-pronged hatpin in one of the Museum of
        London books, which has a curved head covered in granules or little
        beads. I am going away this weekend & am always waaaaay behind schedule
        so I can't look for it until I get back - perhaps someone else on this
        list has the book of Accessories?

        And you sound like a friend of mine from NYC who we used to call "Gotha
        Stewart" :) :) :)

        Danabren

        On Fri, 5 Jul 2002 00:20:11 -0400 "Jeanne Harney"
        <jeanne@...> writes:
        > Hi, all...delurking to ask a question. A dear friend of mine is a
        > lampworker and wants to make period hatpins/stickpins with brass
        > and/or
        > sterling shafts and beads on the end. I know that something similar
        > was
        > used in period, but he asked me how long they needed to be (he's
        > thinking
        > 4-5 inches) and I haven't a clue. I've also never seen photos of
        > extant
        > hatpins. Am I way off base or were these indeed used in period, and
        > can
        > anyone give me any specifics?
        > BTW, his persona is 1500's Venetian, as that's where/when the
        > lampworked
        > glass craze started...but he doesn't care what period they're from
        > as long
        > as they're correct.
        >
        > Jeanne
        > A headon collision between Morticia Adams and Martha Stewart.

        ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
        I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you
        want to annoy for the rest of your life.

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2002
          It's in the 'hats and hair' section, but I think they don't know exactly
          what it is. The ends are fairly blunt, so I'd go with 'decorated
          hairpin' myself, but could have been sharper at one time, I suppose.

          --
          Cynthia Virtue and/or