Re: [SCA-Milliners] Cauls, yeah them!

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4 4:26 AM
      eridaniaurus wrote:

      > I can't say I am too happy with the bridal hats. I didn't know they
      > were so available or I would have looked around a bit. The ones
      > I got are not made to be tampered with. They are hard as rock

      Yeah, some of them are terrible. If I had time, I'd update that page.
      The hats make a fairly good quick solution for cauls, but if you have
      time to build something from scratch, that's probably even better.

      The best idea is as few layers over your ears as you can get away with
      -- heat and hearing!

      --
      Cynthia Virtue and/or
      Cynthia du Pré Argent
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4 9:28 AM
        eridaniaurus writes:

        � The wire mesh idea sounds great for sewing.� All <BR>
        >those nice little holes.� With that, I could have put the felt on
        first <BR>
        >and then done my couching and beadwork.�snip I

        >I like the skull cap idea to anchor the cauls.� That sounds
        sturdy <BR>
        >and stable.�

        I was lucky enough to take a class at An Tir's War College taught
        by Rowan McGowan a few weeks back where we had a hand's on class
        on how to make cauls (the teacher called them 'Angele Pleasaunce's
        Honey Buns') from brass fireplace screen, suede and a hot glue
        gun. We cut out circles and pressed them into shape in a 'high
        tech device' known as a tupperware bowl.

        I will ask the teacher if I might post her instructions on the
        files page. She's told me that she isn't computer friendly, or
        I'd have her out on the list talking already!

        Brass fireplace screen gives you that real metal look and the
        cauls are awesome looking. I believe she might find it here in
        Portland at Chown Hardware. The handout references San Diego
        Hardware.

        Katherine Barich
        who is only Mom to ferrets, but I'm liking the looks of those
        little ones in hoods too, lucky Mom!
      • Wyng'd Lyon Creations
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8 4:51 PM
          You, m'lady have a wonderful teacher there. We were sad to see Angele
          leave Calafia.

          In Service,

          Lady Medbh Mathghamhain
          House of the Pale Horse, Barony of Calafia, Kingdom of Caid

          mka
          Colleen Archer
          Wyng'd Lyon Creations
          (858) 566-4078