Help

  • eridaniaurus
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2002
      I don't even have the vocabulary to ask for help on this. But let me
      tell you what I have done so far.

      I am looking for a High Middle Ages look. (Nicely vague, isn't that?)
      I bought two of those teardrop shaped bridal hats. I have laid and
      couched gold ribbons in a crisscross pattern on red felt to cover
      these forms. Now these are going over my ears. (Princess Leia bun
      warmers.) Beyond that, I am a bit stumped as to how to join them
      appropriately. A lot of the examples of this variety of headress
      have had crowns attached to them. That would not be appropriate
      though a fabric covered open band would be okay. I would also like
      to arrange a veil in this hat somewhere.

      Anyone have pictures to share or previous experience making something
      similar?

      I also have a some questions about veils. Medieval women seemed to
      wear an annoyingly consistant white veil look that offends my modern
      sense of how to pull an outfit together. But I have heard that
      colored veils were not unheard of. Can anyone make me feel less
      guilty about using veils that complement the color of my gown?

      I am also interested in the right length of veils. I think it was on
      Cynthia Virtue's site that I read the advice to start with a short
      veil until you get used to it. Okay, done that. How long can I go?

      Eridani Aurus
    • danabren@juno.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2002
        > I am looking for a High Middle Ages look. (Nicely vague, isn't
        > that?)

        Sounds sorta "caul-ish" to me :)

        > I bought two of those teardrop shaped bridal hats. I have laid and
        > couched gold ribbons in a crisscross pattern on red felt to cover
        > these forms. Now these are going over my ears. (Princess Leia bun
        > warmers.) Beyond that, I am a bit stumped as to how to join them
        > appropriately. A lot of the examples of this variety of headress
        > have had crowns attached to them. That would not be appropriate
        > though a fabric covered open band would be okay. I would also like
        > to arrange a veil in this hat somewhere.

        When making mid-period templars, cauls, etc, I usually use bias tape to
        hold them on. I whipstitch the cauls to the bias tape or ribbon, and then
        tie it at the back of my (or the wearers) head. This makes for a barely
        miniscule bump at the back, which is better than using something large
        and lumpy which might show through your veil. Also, the ribbon can be
        easily concealed by the circular or half-circle veil that goes over the
        entire contraption, or you can use a wide (but still soft) ribbon of a
        color that matches your garment, and let it be seen going straight across
        your forehead. You would most likely wear it in this fashion even if you
        had a coronet, since the coronet would go over the veil, and the cauls
        are underneath. Of course, a fabric covered open band is fine worn like
        this, as you said.

        Next time, you might buy two small colanders from Lechter's, and use only
        the metal mesh bits :) Or put two shoulder pads flat end-to-end and
        back, then cover with fabric (repeat for the other side), for other caul
        effects & sizes.

        > I also have a some questions about veils. Medieval women seemed to
        > wear an annoyingly consistant white veil look that offends my modern
        > sense of how to pull an outfit together. But I have heard that
        > colored veils were not unheard of. Can anyone make me feel less
        > guilty about using veils that complement the color of my gown?

        Check the archives of this list. I wrote a response to a similar query a
        few months back. For general purposes, however, colored veils are
        earlier-period than the era it sounds like you're interested in.

        And where HAS Cynthia been lately, anyway? :)

        Danabren

        ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
        I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you
        want to annoy for the rest of your life.

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • Dianne and Greg Stucki
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2002
          Well, I have only one baby, and am insanely busy. I can't imagine twins!

          Laurensa

          And where HAS Cynthia been lately, anyway? :)

          Danabren

          ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
          I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you
          want to annoy for the rest of your life.

          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Community email addresses:
          Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
          Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com

          Shortcut URL to this page:
          http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2002
            danabren@... wrote:

            > Next time, you might buy two small colanders from Lechter's, and use only
            > the metal mesh bits :) Or put two shoulder pads flat end-to-end and
            > back, then cover with fabric (repeat for the other side), for other caul
            > effects & sizes.

            Yeah, although I think the pads would truly render you deaf -- the
            bridal-hat cauls do muffle things a lot, but less than a quarter inch of
            foam in the pads, I think.

            See: http://www.thibault.org/babies/20020428/baby_garb.jpg

            --
            Cynthia Virtue and/or
            Cynthia du Pré Argent

            Many, however, feel that if any depiction of two similar, side-by-side
            objects taller than they are wide is now going to be considered an
            unacceptable reminder of the September 11 terrorist attacks on the World
            Trade Center, then "sensitivity" has run amok. -- snopes.com
          • danabren@juno.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2002
              > Yeah, although I think the pads would truly render you deaf -- the
              > bridal-hat cauls do muffle things a lot, but less than a quarter
              > inch of foam in the pads, I think.

              I made a "Mickey Mouse" hat and dress, from the painting of "St. Eligius"
              by Petrus Christus, and used shoulder-pads edged with wire hanger for the
              cauls. I made a soft skull-cap out of matching fabric, and attached the
              cauls to it. By sewing the cauls exactly higher than they should be to
              fit snugly across my cheekbones, they now don't press on my glasses
              ear-pieces, and I can hear reasonably well.

              I've often found that simple barbettes interfere with my hearing more
              often than later-period hats, but I've come to accept the interference
              that they all bring *smile*

              > > And where HAS Cynthia been lately, anyway? :)
              >
              > See: http://www.thibault.org/babies/20020428/baby_garb.jpg

              OMG AREN'T THEY ADORABLE!!!!!!!! (Massive cute baby moment!!!)

              Danabren

              ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
              I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you
              want to annoy for the rest of your life.

              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
            • James and Linda Brown
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2002
                How about this? My husband used the circlet of a baseball cap and then sewed
                it into an arming coif, this being a quilted with batting. It seems to work
                and protect. Ear holes can be placed in it as well.

                Kerstan Braun
                > > Yeah, although I think the pads would truly render you deaf -- the
                > > bridal-hat cauls do muffle things a lot, but less than a quarter
                > > inch of foam in the pads, I think.
                >
                > I made a "Mickey Mouse" hat and dress, from the painting of "St. Eligius"
                > by Petrus Christus, and used shoulder-pads edged with wire hanger for the
                > cauls. I made a soft skull-cap out of matching fabric, and attached the
                > cauls to it. By sewing the cauls exactly higher than they should be to
                > fit snugly across my cheekbones, they now don't press on my glasses
                > ear-pieces, and I can hear reasonably well.
                >
                > I've often found that simple barbettes interfere with my hearing more
                > often than later-period hats, but I've come to accept the interference
                > that they all bring *smile*
                >
                > > > And where HAS Cynthia been lately, anyway? :)
                > >
                > > See: http://www.thibault.org/babies/20020428/baby_garb.jpg
                >
                > OMG AREN'T THEY ADORABLE!!!!!!!! (Massive cute baby moment!!!)
                >
                > Danabren
                >
                > ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                > I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you
                > want to annoy for the rest of your life.

                > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

                > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

              • Zohra Rawling
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2002
                  >> See: http://www.thibault.org/babies/20020428/baby_garb.jpg

                  AHHHHHHHH they are so gorgeous!!!

                  *must resist baby...urge...must....resist*

                  *sigh...they are so cute!!!*

                  Ysabella
                  *rocks back and forth chanting, must go back to school, must not get
                  pregnant...over and over again*
                • Dianne and Greg Stucki
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 4, 2002
                    Ysse, you can play with Jimmy on Sunday. Does that help? (giggle)

                    Laurensa

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 4, 2002
                      --On Thursday, July 4, 2002 6:16 AM -0400 Dianne and Greg Stucki
                      <goofy1@...> wrote:

                      > Ysse, you can play with Jimmy on Sunday. Does that help? (giggle)
                      >
                      > Laurensa

                      yes need baby fix thank you Laurensa ^_^

                      Ysabella