Re: Memling Hat

  • susanmrichardson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2002
      Thank you for your help. The gown and truncated henin are for
      my teenage daughter who is unmarried and has waist-length hair so
      this should work out perfectly. If it turns out as we hope, I will
      post a picture. Once again, thank you for the wonderful information.

      Sabine

      --- In SCA-Milliners@y..., "catherinerogerscook"
      <catherinerogerscook@y...> wrote:

      > The answers to your questions are yes, both the girls (who are very
      > young and unmarried, are wearing modified truncated henins. Yes,
      > their hair is flowing out the top of their henins. This is to show
      > that they are unmarried girls.
      > (snip)
      >

      > I have seen many examples of precious and semi-precious cabachons
      in
      > Netherlandish painting, but I can't recall seeing any beads but
      > pearls. They really LOVED pearls.
      >
      > Good luck with your henin, and remember, if you are not an
      unmarried
      > girl, all you have to do is put a top on your henin and you can
      keep
      > everything else the same!
      >
      > Katharine of Cate Hall
      > Barony and Kingdom of Atenveldt
    • susanmrichardson
      Message 2 of 4 , May 23, 2002
        I seem to have a real bee in my wimple about the Memling hats.
        Would someone be so kind as post the titles of some quality research
        books that covers these types of hats? I have 20,000 Years of
        Fashion, by Francois Boucher, but it offers little information other
        than it holds that the term "henin" was meant to be used as an insult
        when used in reference to the pointy hats.

        Thank you,
        Sabine