veils

  • Noramunro@aol.com
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 2, 2002
      In a message dated 4/2/2002 3:15:42 AM Central Standard Time,
      SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > I was told it was supposed to show that you are/were a prostitute.
      > Also heard the jewish women had to wear one with a yellow stripe to
      > show they were jewish.

      I suspect those are both "in Zagreb between 1396 and 1398" references which
      have been over-extrapolated. ;-)

      I have a friend whose persona is a Jewish woman living in the Ottoman empire
      during the 16th century. She tells me that the Ottoman Turks attempted to
      enforce a veil colour-coding for the women of the different religions in the
      empire. The effort didn't last more than a few years, in part because the
      Jewish women, when assigned yellow, seem to have said "whoopee! this means
      we can wear cloth of gold veils!" which was not quite the effect the Turks
      were after.

      Alianora
    • borderlands15213
      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 13, 2007
        Oops, sorry: got ahead in my replies by not reading far enough ahead!
        Your pardon, good gentles!

        Yseult the Gentle

        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Wyndylyn" <tjhortman@...> wrote:

        > My favorite for washing silks is Mane and Tail Shampoo. Yes, it's
        made for
        > horses, but it's the best for getting out stains and oils. I've used
        it on
        > antique silks with wonderful results.
        >
        > Wyndylyn

        <<snipped>>>