ISO veil info

  • ladyrhie
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2002
      Greetings!
      I am hoping to settle an arguement on veils and figured you good
      folks would be the best to ask!

      I am trying to figure out a) the purpose for wearing veils and b) the
      possibility of wearing colors other than white. All I can find is
      that yellow shouldn't be worn, but that doesn't tell me what can be
      worn. I was told at one time that as a early period Celtic woman, I
      could wear colored veils, but nothing to back it up with.

      Also if you can tell me where I might be able to find the
      documentation, I would greatly appreciate it!

      YIS~

      Lady Rhie
    • danabren@juno.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
        This could get extremely long and involved, but I am going to make a
        Blanket Statement (warning! warning!) and say that a majority of the
        whole basic concept behind veils is religious (respect to God by keeping
        your head covered)

        Naturally, there are other factors, such as the influence of the Romans
        (where the women covered their heads for modesty) through the Byzantines
        and thereby the invading Barbarian hordes, add to that the social and
        religious mores of the Judeo-Christian religion, and well, by then, it's
        "just what you did" because everyone has done so for ages and ages :) as
        well as hygeine and displays of wealth.

        There's gotta be more to it than this, but I'm fairly comfortable to
        stand by this as a generality (alert! blanket statement!).

        Regarding colors, of course colors are period - but the earlier you go,
        the better chance of being able to document colors. The Spanish, as late
        as the 13th C, wore colored and patterned mantillas. In the 12th C the
        fashion of wearing white veilings and affiliated accoutrements (ie
        barbettes, fillets) was fairly dominant, but there are still examples of
        colored veils, yet even then the fillets and caps were often colored and
        embroidered. From the 10th to 11th C in England there are many examples
        of colored veils (as well as plain white), both in allegorical and laic
        art. The earlier period depictions of veils often display the white veils
        as being embroidered.

        Check out "The History of Costume" by Davenport (Crown), "Late Antique
        and Early Christian Book Illumination" by Weitzmann (George Brazilier),
        The Book of Kells and The Lindisfarne Gospels, Medieval Art by Snyder
        (Prentice-Hall Abrams)

        Why can you not wear yellow? It was the color worn only by woman during
        the Roman Empire (no man would be seen dead in yellow, it was considered
        an effeminate hue) While I've never researched a yellow veil (I wouldn't
        wear it, makes my skin look green) what's the issue with it?

        Anyone else?
        Danabren

        On Sun, 31 Mar 2002 20:57:50 -0000 "ladyrhie" <rkellander@...>
        writes:
        > Greetings!
        > I am hoping to settle an arguement on veils and figured you good
        > folks would be the best to ask!
        >
        > I am trying to figure out a) the purpose for wearing veils and b)
        > the possibility of wearing colors other than white. All I can find is
        > that yellow shouldn't be worn, but that doesn't tell me what can be
        > worn. I was told at one time that as a early period Celtic woman, I
        > could wear colored veils, but nothing to back it up with.
        >
        > Also if you can tell me where I might be able to find the
        > documentation, I would greatly appreciate it!
        >
        > YIS~
        >
        > Lady Rhie

        ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
        I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you
        want to annoy for the rest of your life.

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
          danabren@... wrote:

          > Why can you not wear yellow? It was the color worn only by woman during
          > the Roman Empire (no man would be seen dead in yellow, it was considered
          > an effeminate hue) While I've never researched a yellow veil (I wouldn't
          > wear it, makes my skin look green) what's the issue with it?

          It has been said, but I haven't seen documented, that yellow veils were
          for prostitutes. However, as many of us have found, prohibitions of
          such-and-such garment or color were often limited to one city and one
          short span of time -- say, Rouen from 1320-1340 and at no other
          time/place. But it gets turned into 'all of the medieval period' by
          hearsay.

          If you have time, Danabren, could you tell us more specifics about
          embroidered and colored veils or early headwear? I haven't found any
          examples/illustrations of these before.

          cv
          --
          Cynthia Virtue and/or
          Cynthia du Pré Argent
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
            >While I've never researched a yellow veil (I wouldn't
            > wear it, makes my skin look green) what's the issue with it?

            I was told it was supposed to show that you are/were a prostitute.
            Also heard the jewish women had to wear one with a yellow stripe to
            show they were jewish.

            Rhie
          • ladyrhie
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
              Danabren,
              Could I please forward this to the Newbie list where the arguement is
              going on? I think it would be very helpful for newcomers to know
              considering they are being told in no uncertain terms, NO! No colors!

              Lady Rhie

            • danabren@juno.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
                Egad! Tell them! Tell them colors! Pick a color!!!! (Just be sure to
                point out that the colored veils are early-period, pre-13th C)

                Danabren

                > Could I please forward this to the Newbie list where the arguement
                > is going on? I think it would be very helpful for newcomers to know
                > considering they are being told in no uncertain terms, NO! No
                > colors!
                >
                > Lady Rhie

                ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you
                want to annoy for the rest of your life.

                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
              • ladyrhie
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
                  As always, Danabren, you are da bomb!!!(my apologies for the modern
                  slang, but I should have bet money on this arguement!)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
                    rkellander@... writes:

                    > Danabren,
                    > Could I please forward this to the Newbie list where the arguement is
                    > going on? I think it would be very helpful for newcomers to know
                    > considering they are being told in no uncertain terms, NO! No colors!
                    >
                    > Lady Rhie

                    Please fogive me, which newbie list is that?

                    Tamara

                  • danabren@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 2, 2002
                      > As always, Danabren, you are da bomb!!!(my apologies for the modern
                      > slang, but I should have bet money on this arguement!)

                      Aw shucks :)

                      Danabren

                      ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                      I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you
                      want to annoy for the rest of your life.

                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                    • Kellander, Rhonda
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 2, 2002
                        Aw shucks :)

                        Danabren

                        If you have time at EK War Practice, I'd like to introduce you to a friend
                        of mine who is looking for hat help and will be moving to Marietta at the
                        end of April. You are still in the lower PA area right?

                        YIS~
                        Lady Rhieinwylydd verch Gwasdewi Goch
                        called Rhie
                        MOL