Re: [SCA-Milliners] Re: Let's Get This Party Started!

  • steph sitzes
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 26, 2013
      Ysabeau,
      do you have a photo of yourself wearing them? I really would love to see them!
      Arianna

    • rachelle_stephen
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 28, 2013
        I still avoid the camera...and don't Facebook (FB is *evil!) but I'll try to post one after next event...after Gulf Wars - in April?

        thanks for asking!
        Flattered is,
        Ysabeau

        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, steph sitzes <stephehawk@...> wrote:

        > Ysabeau,
        > do you have a photo of yourself wearing them? I really would love to see them!
        > Arianna

      • rachelle_stephen
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 29, 2013
          sounds *gorgeous*, Rignach! Have you considered using silk chiffon for your 'Burgundian' veils? I do...

          Thanks for sharing!
          --Ysabeau JL Durant, Trimaris

          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen - Yahoo" <rignachargyll@...> wrote:

          > .Alright everyone, I'm tired of seeing this group being so sluggish....
          > What are you working on? What are you researching?...
          >

          > Well, I just finished a "horned" henin. The base was made from a pattern
          > Mistress Truly shared with me before heading to MN. After the base was made
          > in buckram, I then padded it with quilters batting and covered it in white
          > linen. The I had a friend hand sew the silk lining in with the linen and
          > then I made a series of slip covers for the whole thing out of various
          > brocades so my hat can "match" my houpelaunde. I have several and the hat's
          > covers do not necessarily match, but are of similar tones.
          >

          > The overall effect is disappointing, because when I wear my veil over the
          > henin it is not at all visible. I might as well have made it out of
          > cardboard. The profile is perfect, but the effort of covering the henin in
          > slip on brocade was pointless. My veils are habtoi silk, very fine and about
          > as see through as you can get. I am assuming that some of the pictures we
          > have of paintings which show the nearly invisible veils are exaggerations. I
          > suppose an organza would yield a more translucent veil, but the drape would
          > be wrong.
          >

          > The whole thing is not an utter failure, but I am now planning to make a
          > beaded "crown" of three dimensional snowflakes to top the whole thing off
          > and give it more. umph!
          >

          > Plodding away in An Tir,
          >

          > rignachofargyllarms-signature
          >
          > Rignach of Argyll
          >
          > Lancer of Madrone

        • Stephehawk
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 29, 2013
            I would still love to see it!
            Arianna
            GleNn abhann

            On Mar 29, 2013, at 8:45 AM, "rachelle_stephen" <rachelle.stephen@...> wrote:

            > sounds *gorgeous*, Rignach! Have you considered using silk chiffon for your 'Burgundian' veils? I do...
            >
            > Thanks for sharing!
            > --Ysabeau JL Durant, Trimaris
            >
            > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen - Yahoo" <rignachargyll@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > .Alright everyone, I'm tired of seeing this group being so sluggish....
            > > What are you working on? What are you researching?...
            > >

            > > Well, I just finished a "horned" henin. The base was made from a pattern
            > > Mistress Truly shared with me before heading to MN. After the base was made
            > > in buckram, I then padded it with quilters batting and covered it in white
            > > linen. The I had a friend hand sew the silk lining in with the linen and
            > > then I made a series of slip covers for the whole thing out of various
            > > brocades so my hat can "match" my houpelaunde. I have several and the hat's
            > > covers do not necessarily match, but are of similar tones.
            > >

            > > The overall effect is disappointing, because when I wear my veil over the
            > > henin it is not at all visible. I might as well have made it out of
            > > cardboard. The profile is perfect, but the effort of covering the henin in
            > > slip on brocade was pointless. My veils are habtoi silk, very fine and about
            > > as see through as you can get. I am assuming that some of the pictures we
            > > have of paintings which show the nearly invisible veils are exaggerations. I
            > > suppose an organza would yield a more translucent veil, but the drape would
            > > be wrong.
            > >

            > > The whole thing is not an utter failure, but I am now planning to make a
            > > beaded "crown" of three dimensional snowflakes to top the whole thing off
            > > and give it more. umph!
            > >

            > > Plodding away in An Tir,
            > >

            > > rignachofargyllarms-signature
            > >
            > > Rignach of Argyll
            > >
            > > Lancer of Madrone

          • rachelle_stephen
            Message 5 of 29 , May 27, 2013
              Okay, no activity on this list for a *long* time, so maybe you won't mind if I chatter a little bit?

              In the torpid Trimarian (Floridian) summers, I am not inclined to put on a hat and just want my hair off the neck. Greek is popular and the Roman Empire was done *beautifully* by a recent, beloved Crown. After wearing a sakkos (*GREAT* documentation source here: http://dspace.ucalgary.ca/bitstream/1880/46383/1/Thesis_Fischer.pdf) for 2 years, I really needed something new for our Crowne Lyst, held on Memorial Day weekend.

              This simple hair piece is 4 braids made from the Beauty Supply Store (you *must* bring a spotter when choosing fake hair, no matter how long your hair is!) They are sewn together into one long braid, and the top 3 coils of the coronet are then sewn together with wool thread. I left the bottom coil unsewn for 7/8 of its length, for adjustablility. Pinned up my very modern shoulder-length thick curly hair into a pony tail and dropped the braided coronet over the top, pinning the bottom coil for balance using hair screws (http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=goody+hair+spin+pin&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=1101079961&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13054655611042834504&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_bvs10xl1k_b)

              Now, the question is, do I have the nerve to do the Capitoline Venus at the next summer event in Trimaris? I might need some encouragement...

              Ambience is easy,
              and sometimes breezy,
              Ysabeau

              --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "rachelle_stephen" <rachelle.stephen@...> wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > --Ysabeau Durant, Trimaris
              >

              > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "toriruhl" <truhl75@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Perhaps she outgrew them? They were hand-me-downs?
              > > I don't think the craftsman who made them would want to be known as someone who made uncomfortable or I'll-fitted products.
              > >
              > > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Yvianne" wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I'm researching another topic right now, but I'm always on the lookout for
              > > > anything having to do with cauls. :-)
              > > >
              > > > I recently read a thesis that vaguely resembles "Medieval Finds from
              > > > Excavations in London: Dress Accessories". It included pictures of an effigy
              > > > wearing cauls almost exactly like the ones I wear.... a metal band with
              > > > ovals hanging from the lower edge (some refer to them as strainer cauls or
              > > > Princess Leia style).
              > > >
              > > > The main difference is the ones on the effigy are smaller and worn so that
              > > > part of the ear sticks out the bottom. I see this occasionally but without
              > > > any discernable pattern that allows me to conclude it was a fad.
              > > >
              > > > I've tried wearing cauls this way. It allows for better hearing... the down
              > > > side is: if you wear them mid ear, they do slightly rub against your
              > > > earlobe. Not so much that it hurts but they just feel weird. At the end of
              > > > the day, when you take off the cauls, you really notice it. Your earlobes
              > > > can be a bit touchy for days or even show a bit of bruising.
              > > >
              > > > Something else I wonder about ... if this was how the ladies wanted the
              > > > cauls to look when they commissioned them, or whether they adjusted
              > > > themselves to this position??
              > > >
              > > > I've been wearing cauls for 15 years and have a lot of experience with that
              > > > particular phenomenon. ;-) If either the side pieces or headband are "off"
              > > > for the shape of your head or location of your ears the headpiece will move
              > > > to where it fits. Your hair will adjust to the cauls, not hold them in
              > > > place.
              > > >
              > > > Sometimes you don't notice, sometimes the cauls are so uncomfortable to wear
              > > > any other way that you don't care. Since they couldn't just go to Wal-Mart
              > > > and exchange them, they would have worn them anyway.
              > > >
              > > > I also have a pair of cauls that don't fit me quite right yet I continue to
              > > > wear them... often, for the past 8 years or so. It would have been a waste
              > > > time, effort but most of all, money to trash them and start over. I wear
              > > > them because it's what I have. A new headpiece is on my list of things to
              > > > do, but it keeps getting pushed to the back because they are wearable.
              > > >
              > > > When I have the time...
              > > >
              > > > I need to pursue other images of the lady in the effigy to see if I can find
              > > > other representations of her headwear. I'm curious if she wore cauls often,
              > > > if she wore other styles and if they always covered part of her ears.
              > > >
              > > > I also plan on looking more information on the twisted wires that are shown
              > > > in the paper.
              > > >
              > > > Oh, and I need a new pair of cauls ;-)
              > > >
              > > > ... but for now, back to my other projects.

            • rachelle_stephen
              Message 6 of 29 , May 27, 2013
                Dagnabbit, the whole point was to share photos this time...

                Photo illustrations for this conversation can be found in Ysabeau album.

                (doh!)