Re: [SCA-Milliners] Information if you please

  • jillwheezul
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
      I'm a little curious how you get a sewn hat from the first image. To me
      it is a felted hat sitting on a possible hat block on the table. That long
      staff is not a sewing needle. It is more probably related to similar
      staffs in the other hatmaker images, where they look to be an instrument to
      remove the hat from the hooks they hang on above arms reach.

      The second image is more questionable - granted he is sewing a hat, but
      the brown piece on the floor was what caught my eye - as all the other
      pieces are black.

      The third image - at first I thought it might be a drum carder, but the
      roller(s) at the bottom look more like they would start to compress the
      carded wool into a mat.

      Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

      Katherine

      On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 01:12:54 +0000, Deborah Pipe <deblouma@...>
      wrote:
      > Sorry but
      > The hats look sewn to me and
      > The latter machine looks more like a wool carder
      > Have you looked at Jost Amman book of trades?
      > Deborah
      >
      > On 18 Feb 2013, at 23:58, wheezul@... [1]> wrote:
      >
      > > Some more possible hat forms:
      > >
      > > http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-279-26-r [2]
      > > http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-279-67-r [3]
      > >
      > > A bit past SCA period - but this looks to be a machine to make felt:
      > > http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-142-v [4]
      > >
      > > Karin, if you haven't looked at this site yet, you may want to visit
      > it
      > > given your interest in pictures of technology in action:
      > >
      > > Katherine

      > redesigned individual mail v1
    • jillwheezul
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013
        I found this image of furriers at work - and I see fur caps up on little
        blocks in the window. I don't know if they are blocks or not, but I
        thought I would share:

        http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/mi08078a06a.jpg

        Katherine