Re: [SCA-Milliners] Information if you please

  • jillwheezul
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
      Some more possible hat forms:

      http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-279-26-r
      http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-279-67-r

      A bit past SCA period - but this looks to be a machine to make felt:
      http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-142-v

      Karin, if you haven't looked at this site yet, you may want to visit it
      given your interest in pictures of technology in action:

      Katherine

      On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 10:42:19 -0500, Erin Fortney <elvonat@...>
      wrote:
      > Hello fellow hat lovers!
      >
      > For a while now I have been making bycockets (think sorta Robin Hood
      > style hats....though mine are taller like the ones found in several
      > psalters, hunting scenes and the like).
      >
      > I have generally been sewing them out of wool and felt but I am ready
      > to try my hand at something different. In period depictions you can see
      > no seams, I realize that may be the artist choosing not to depict them
      > but my question is, do we have resources that point to using hat blocks
      > to shape wool hats? I am looking for books, papers, etc., anything that
      > may help in research.
      >
      > I am slightly obsessed with this style hat and wish to reproduce it as
      > accurately as I can.
      >
      > Thank you for any direction you can give!
      >
      > Eleanor
      >
      > Below is the style of hat I speak of.
    • Deborah Pipe
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
        Sorry but
        The hats look sewn to me and
        The latter machine looks more like a wool carder
        Have you looked at Jost Amman book of trades?
        Deborah

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
          I'm a little curious how you get a sewn hat from the first image. To me
          it is a felted hat sitting on a possible hat block on the table. That long
          staff is not a sewing needle. It is more probably related to similar
          staffs in the other hatmaker images, where they look to be an instrument to
          remove the hat from the hooks they hang on above arms reach.

          The second image is more questionable - granted he is sewing a hat, but
          the brown piece on the floor was what caught my eye - as all the other
          pieces are black.

          The third image - at first I thought it might be a drum carder, but the
          roller(s) at the bottom look more like they would start to compress the
          carded wool into a mat.

          Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

          Katherine

          On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 01:12:54 +0000, Deborah Pipe <deblouma@...>
          wrote:
          > Sorry but
          > The hats look sewn to me and
          > The latter machine looks more like a wool carder
          > Have you looked at Jost Amman book of trades?
          > Deborah
          >
          > On 18 Feb 2013, at 23:58, wheezul@... [1]> wrote:
          >
          > > Some more possible hat forms:
          > >
          > > http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-279-26-r [2]
          > > http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-279-67-r [3]
          > >
          > > A bit past SCA period - but this looks to be a machine to make felt:
          > > http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-142-v [4]
          > >
          > > Karin, if you haven't looked at this site yet, you may want to visit
          > it
          > > given your interest in pictures of technology in action:
          > >
          > > Katherine

          > redesigned individual mail v1
        • jillwheezul
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013
            I found this image of furriers at work - and I see fur caps up on little
            blocks in the window. I don't know if they are blocks or not, but I
            thought I would share:

            http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/mi08078a06a.jpg

            Katherine