Re: Information if you please

  • Karen_Larsdatter
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 17, 2013

      The Merchant in the Ellesmere manuscript of the Canterbury Tales is depicted in one of the higher-crowned versions of the hat:
      http://www2.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/sc/chaucer/10merchant1b.jpg
      Chaucer describes the Merchant as wearing "a Flaundryssh bever hat," which suggests to me that it was made of beaver felt -- probably shaped over a block.

      I do have a couple of links to images of hatters at http://www.larsdatter.com/hatters.htm and while none of them are specifically working on a bycocket, I think some of the hatmakers in the Landauer housebook as well as the Standebuch show hats being shaped on a block.

      Karen Larsdatter
      www.larsdatter.com
    • jillwheezul
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
        Some more possible hat forms:

        http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-279-26-r
        http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-279-67-r

        A bit past SCA period - but this looks to be a machine to make felt:
        http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-142-v

        Karin, if you haven't looked at this site yet, you may want to visit it
        given your interest in pictures of technology in action:

        Katherine

        On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 10:42:19 -0500, Erin Fortney <elvonat@...>
        wrote:
        > Hello fellow hat lovers!
        >
        > For a while now I have been making bycockets (think sorta Robin Hood
        > style hats....though mine are taller like the ones found in several
        > psalters, hunting scenes and the like).
        >
        > I have generally been sewing them out of wool and felt but I am ready
        > to try my hand at something different. In period depictions you can see
        > no seams, I realize that may be the artist choosing not to depict them
        > but my question is, do we have resources that point to using hat blocks
        > to shape wool hats? I am looking for books, papers, etc., anything that
        > may help in research.
        >
        > I am slightly obsessed with this style hat and wish to reproduce it as
        > accurately as I can.
        >
        > Thank you for any direction you can give!
        >
        > Eleanor
        >
        > Below is the style of hat I speak of.
      • Deborah Pipe
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
          Sorry but
          The hats look sewn to me and
          The latter machine looks more like a wool carder
          Have you looked at Jost Amman book of trades?
          Deborah

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
            I'm a little curious how you get a sewn hat from the first image. To me
            it is a felted hat sitting on a possible hat block on the table. That long
            staff is not a sewing needle. It is more probably related to similar
            staffs in the other hatmaker images, where they look to be an instrument to
            remove the hat from the hooks they hang on above arms reach.

            The second image is more questionable - granted he is sewing a hat, but
            the brown piece on the floor was what caught my eye - as all the other
            pieces are black.

            The third image - at first I thought it might be a drum carder, but the
            roller(s) at the bottom look more like they would start to compress the
            carded wool into a mat.

            Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

            Katherine

            On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 01:12:54 +0000, Deborah Pipe <deblouma@...>
            wrote:
            > Sorry but
            > The hats look sewn to me and
            > The latter machine looks more like a wool carder
            > Have you looked at Jost Amman book of trades?
            > Deborah
            >
            > On 18 Feb 2013, at 23:58, wheezul@... [1]> wrote:
            >
            > > Some more possible hat forms:
            > >
            > > http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-279-26-r [2]
            > > http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-279-67-r [3]
            > >
            > > A bit past SCA period - but this looks to be a machine to make felt:
            > > http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-142-v [4]
            > >
            > > Karin, if you haven't looked at this site yet, you may want to visit
            > it
            > > given your interest in pictures of technology in action:
            > >
            > > Katherine

            > redesigned individual mail v1
          • jillwheezul
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013
              I found this image of furriers at work - and I see fur caps up on little
              blocks in the window. I don't know if they are blocks or not, but I
              thought I would share:

              http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/mi08078a06a.jpg

              Katherine