Help I am having a senior moment!

  • td
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2013
      I don't make hats to sell just to well have fun. Haven't worn one in public but did give one to a charity auction when my friend asked for one. I am too old to take up a new career just to have it turn into a job so I just want to keep it fun. I am self taught via the very limited books our library has. So to make the story longer I haven't made a darn thing in six months due to hubbies and mine health issues. They are all settled now and I am starting to take up half done projects. Automata, quilts, pillowcases for that African dress thing, halloween decorations and some jewelry pieces to name a few.

      My very senior moment is in a name of a part of a hat. It is the part you add to it so it sits up off the hair. I hope I am making sense to you all. What is the name of that part!!
      I read about it on the Internet SOMEPLACE and well I can't seem to find the bookmark!
      It is now driving me crazy!

      I wanted to make three straw hats for my girls and I to have (thought i might have a tea with them)was going to add something similar so that the wide brims sit rather jauntily on the head. Then make hat storage boxes and a silver hat pin and see who wants my t service handed down to me....

      Can anyone give me a link or perhaps a hint at what that darn piece is called or how to shape it?
    • SusanG
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 9, 2013
        Do you have a picture you can post or link too? That might be helpful.
        Lucrezia

        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "td" wrote:

        > I don't make hats to sell just to well have fun. Haven't worn one in public but did give one to a charity auction when my friend asked for one. I am too old to take up a new career just to have it turn into a job so I just want to keep it fun. I am self taught via the very limited books our library has. So to make the story longer I haven't made a darn thing in six months due to hubbies and mine health issues. They are all settled now and I am starting to take up half done projects. Automata, quilts, pillowcases for that African dress thing, halloween decorations and some jewelry pieces to name a few.
        >
        > My very senior moment is in a name of a part of a hat. It is the part you add to it so it sits up off the hair. I hope I am making sense to you all. What is the name of that part!!
        > I read about it on the Internet SOMEPLACE and well I can't seem to find the bookmark!
        > It is now driving me crazy!
        >
        > I wanted to make three straw hats for my girls and I to have (thought i might have a tea with them)was going to add something similar so that the wide brims sit rather jauntily on the head. Then make hat storage boxes and a silver hat pin and see who wants my t service handed down to me....
        >
        > Can anyone give me a link or perhaps a hint at what that darn piece is called or how to shape it?

      • Brian & Kathy (MKA)
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 10, 2013
          Greetings TD,

          Are you talking about the internal hat band, sometimes called a sweat
          band? Here's a link that show a picture of it.

          https://www.judithm.com/products/size-adjustable-hat-band
          <https://www.judithm.com/products/size-adjustable-hat-band>

          And yes, I want to know the secret of how you made that beautiful loaf
          of bread!

          Regards, Ute

          --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "td" wrote:
          ><snip>What is the name of that part!!
          > I read about it on the Internet SOMEPLACE and well I can't seem to
          find the bookmark!
          > It is now driving me crazy!
          >
          > Can anyone give me a link or perhaps a hint at what that darn piece is
          called or how to shape it?
          ><snip>

        • Pam
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 10, 2013
            Not on hand. I will look tonight after everyone is fed and in bed.

            Sent from my iPhone
          • Julie
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
              Bandeau I think.