Let's Get This Party Started!

  • toriruhl
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 3, 2013
      Alright everyone, I'm tired of seeing this group being so sluggish....
      What are you working on? What are you researching?

      There are so few dedicated (as an art) hat makers that we really need to be reaching out to each other to share projects and information.

      Currently, I'm working on several projects that are in various stages of completion.
      I'm making forms for blocking felt hats, delving into cane and reed structuring for hennins and horned headdresses, and paper mâché foundations (using linen paper).

      I am determined to spread my hat obsession across my Kingdom (Meridies), since we seem to have some aversion to headcoverings.

      Come on, catch my fever :)

      Madelena
    • jillwheezul
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 3, 2013
        On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 04:17:00 -0000, "toriruhl" <truhl75@...> wrote:
        > Alright everyone, I'm tired of seeing this group being so sluggish....
        > What are you working on? What are you researching?
        >
        > There are so few dedicated (as an art) hat makers that we really need
        > to be reaching out to each other to share projects and information.
        >
        > Currently, I'm working on several projects that are in various stages
        > of completion.
        > I'm making forms for blocking felt hats, delving into cane and reed
        > structuring for hennins and horned headdresses, and paper mâché
        > foundations (using linen paper).
        >
        > I am determined to spread my hat obsession across my Kingdom
        > (Meridies), since we seem to have some aversion to headcoverings.
        >
        > Come on, catch my fever :)
        >
        > Madelena

        I've been studying tailor's tests from the 15th and 16th centuries, and
        have been looking at guild regulations. I found some for hatmakers guilds
        (French specifically at this point). I'm fairly convinced that looking for
        more might be a fascinating study and may very well bring some period
        techniques to light.

        Katherine in An Tir
      • Sayyeda al-Kaslaania
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 3, 2013
          Right now I'm working on a cooking class on thirteenth century samosas.
          However, I plan to work on something to document different Middle
          Eastern veiling styles that I can parse out. Half of any woman's
          wardrobe was head wear in the Middle Ages in Cairo. We have written
          documents of them, but not how to use them. Everyone already know what
          you do with these, right? :)

          Sayyeda al-Kaslaania

          On 2/3/2013 10:17 PM, toriruhl wrote:
          > Alright everyone, I'm tired of seeing this group being so sluggish....
          > What are you working on? What are you researching?
          >
          > There are so few dedicated (as an art) hat makers that we really need to be reaching out to each other to share projects and information.
          >
          > Currently, I'm working on several projects that are in various stages of completion.
          > I'm making forms for blocking felt hats, delving into cane and reed structuring for hennins and horned headdresses, and paper mâché foundations (using linen paper).
          >
          > I am determined to spread my hat obsession across my Kingdom (Meridies), since we seem to have some aversion to headcoverings.
          >
          > Come on, catch my fever :)
          >
          > Madelena

        • toriruhl
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 3, 2013
            > I've been studying tailor's tests from the 15th and 16th centuries, and
            > have been looking at guild regulations. I found some for hatmakers guilds
            > (French specifically at this point). I'm fairly convinced that looking for
            > more might be a fascinating study and may very well bring some period
            > techniques to light.
            >
            > Katherine in An Tir

            Tailor's tests? That sounds fascinating.
            I can't wait to hear what you discover. Since I started researching hats and going to workshops (modern) and taking classes, I've decided that although the materials available to a modern Milliner are obviously different, I'm not so certain that the basic techniques of construction have changed very much. I would really like to see what you can uncover!

            Madelena
          • toriruhl
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 3, 2013
              --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Sayyeda al-Kaslaania wrote:

              > Right now I'm working on a cooking class on thirteenth century samosas.
              > However, I plan to work on something to document different Middle
              > Eastern veiling styles that I can parse out. Half of any woman's
              > wardrobe was head wear in the Middle Ages in Cairo. We have written
              > documents of them, but not how to use them. Everyone already know what
              > you do with these, right? :)
              >
              > Sayyeda al-Kaslaania

              Just like bread!

              What Kingdom are you in? Are you able to find the references and contacts you need?

              Madelena
            • Deborah Pipe
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 3, 2013
                If you haven't already found it Check it the worshipful company of feltmakers of London
                That's the UK equivalent of a guild. I've previously collected quite a lot of stuff on this matter, most of it can be found on a blog I started featuringfelt@...
                If the address isn't right get back to me as I haven't looked at it for a while and may have mis remembered!
                Deborah

                On 4 Feb 2013, at 04:56, "toriruhl" <truhl75@...> wrote:

                > > I've been studying tailor's tests from the 15th and 16th centuries, and
                > > have been looking at guild regulations. I found some for hatmakers guilds
                > > (French specifically at this point). I'm fairly convinced that looking for
                > > more might be a fascinating study and may very well bring some period
                > > techniques to light.
                > >
                > > Katherine in An Tir
                >
                > Tailor's tests? That sounds fascinating.
                > I can't wait to hear what you discover. Since I started researching hats and going to workshops (modern) and taking classes, I've decided that although the materials available to a modern Milliner are obviously different, I'm not so certain that the basic techniques of construction have changed very much. I would really like to see what you can uncover!
                >
                > Madelena

              • Yvianne
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                  I'm researching another topic right now, but I'm always on the lookout for
                  anything having to do with cauls. :-)

                  I recently read a thesis that vaguely resembles "Medieval Finds from
                  Excavations in London: Dress Accessories". It included pictures of an effigy
                  wearing cauls almost exactly like the ones I wear.... a metal band with
                  ovals hanging from the lower edge (some refer to them as strainer cauls or
                  Princess Leia style).

                  The main difference is the ones on the effigy are smaller and worn so that
                  part of the ear sticks out the bottom. I see this occasionally but without
                  any discernable pattern that allows me to conclude it was a fad.

                  I've tried wearing cauls this way. It allows for better hearing... the down
                  side is: if you wear them mid ear, they do slightly rub against your
                  earlobe. Not so much that it hurts but they just feel weird. At the end of
                  the day, when you take off the cauls, you really notice it. Your earlobes
                  can be a bit touchy for days or even show a bit of bruising.

                  Something else I wonder about ... if this was how the ladies wanted the
                  cauls to look when they commissioned them, or whether they adjusted
                  themselves to this position??

                  I've been wearing cauls for 15 years and have a lot of experience with that
                  particular phenomenon. ;-) If either the side pieces or headband are "off"
                  for the shape of your head or location of your ears the headpiece will move
                  to where it fits. Your hair will adjust to the cauls, not hold them in
                  place.

                  Sometimes you don't notice, sometimes the cauls are so uncomfortable to wear
                  any other way that you don't care. Since they couldn't just go to Wal-Mart
                  and exchange them, they would have worn them anyway.

                  I also have a pair of cauls that don't fit me quite right yet I continue to
                  wear them... often, for the past 8 years or so. It would have been a waste
                  time, effort but most of all, money to trash them and start over. I wear
                  them because it's what I have. A new headpiece is on my list of things to
                  do, but it keeps getting pushed to the back because they are wearable.

                  When I have the time...

                  I need to pursue other images of the lady in the effigy to see if I can find
                  other representations of her headwear. I'm curious if she wore cauls often,
                  if she wore other styles and if they always covered part of her ears.

                  I also plan on looking more information on the twisted wires that are shown
                  in the paper.

                  Oh, and I need a new pair of cauls ;-)

                  ... but for now, back to my other projects.

                  Yvianne
                  AEthelmearc
                • Glynnis Hollindale
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                    Hello Madelena

                    I am also interested in the experiences of others but I do not assume that
                    many are doing Mongol.

                    My current project is a beaded headdress of coral and turquoise (mostly
                    composite as I am not rich enough to afford the real stuff). I have
                    completed the forehead fringe, temple pendants and larger side-of-head long
                    fall. I don’t know if there are any photos yet from other people, but I
                    will have my husband take some. I will endeavour to have the wide section
                    on the back of the head and the plait covers complete prior to May Crown.

                    Next will be a boghtagh trial. We will see what works with peacock feathers
                    etc.

                    Cheers,

                    Glynyhvar

                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                      I can't wait to see pictures of that, I bet it's beautiful!
                      I know nothing about Mongolian culture or headwear. :)

                      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Glynnis Hollindale" wrote:

                      > Hello Madelena
                      >

                      > I am also interested in the experiences of others but I do not assume that
                      > many are doing Mongol.
                      >

                      > My current project is a beaded headdress of coral and turquoise (mostly
                      > composite as I am not rich enough to afford the real stuff). I have
                      > completed the forehead fringe, temple pendants and larger side-of-head long
                      > fall. I don't know if there are any photos yet from other people, but I
                      > will have my husband take some. I will endeavour to have the wide section
                      > on the back of the head and the plait covers complete prior to May Crown.
                      >

                      > Next will be a boghtagh trial. We will see what works with peacock feathers
                      > etc.
                      >

                      > Cheers,
                      >

                      > Glynyhvar

                    • toriruhl
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                        Perhaps she outgrew them? They were hand-me-downs?
                        I don't think the craftsman who made them would want to be known as someone who made uncomfortable or I'll-fitted products.

                        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Yvianne" wrote:

                        > I'm researching another topic right now, but I'm always on the lookout for
                        > anything having to do with cauls. :-)
                        >
                        > I recently read a thesis that vaguely resembles "Medieval Finds from
                        > Excavations in London: Dress Accessories". It included pictures of an effigy
                        > wearing cauls almost exactly like the ones I wear.... a metal band with
                        > ovals hanging from the lower edge (some refer to them as strainer cauls or
                        > Princess Leia style).
                        >
                        > The main difference is the ones on the effigy are smaller and worn so that
                        > part of the ear sticks out the bottom. I see this occasionally but without
                        > any discernable pattern that allows me to conclude it was a fad.
                        >
                        > I've tried wearing cauls this way. It allows for better hearing... the down
                        > side is: if you wear them mid ear, they do slightly rub against your
                        > earlobe. Not so much that it hurts but they just feel weird. At the end of
                        > the day, when you take off the cauls, you really notice it. Your earlobes
                        > can be a bit touchy for days or even show a bit of bruising.
                        >
                        > Something else I wonder about ... if this was how the ladies wanted the
                        > cauls to look when they commissioned them, or whether they adjusted
                        > themselves to this position??
                        >
                        > I've been wearing cauls for 15 years and have a lot of experience with that
                        > particular phenomenon. ;-) If either the side pieces or headband are "off"
                        > for the shape of your head or location of your ears the headpiece will move
                        > to where it fits. Your hair will adjust to the cauls, not hold them in
                        > place.
                        >
                        > Sometimes you don't notice, sometimes the cauls are so uncomfortable to wear
                        > any other way that you don't care. Since they couldn't just go to Wal-Mart
                        > and exchange them, they would have worn them anyway.
                        >
                        > I also have a pair of cauls that don't fit me quite right yet I continue to
                        > wear them... often, for the past 8 years or so. It would have been a waste
                        > time, effort but most of all, money to trash them and start over. I wear
                        > them because it's what I have. A new headpiece is on my list of things to
                        > do, but it keeps getting pushed to the back because they are wearable.
                        >
                        > When I have the time...
                        >
                        > I need to pursue other images of the lady in the effigy to see if I can find
                        > other representations of her headwear. I'm curious if she wore cauls often,
                        > if she wore other styles and if they always covered part of her ears.
                        >
                        > I also plan on looking more information on the twisted wires that are shown
                        > in the paper.
                        >
                        > Oh, and I need a new pair of cauls ;-)
                        >
                        > ... but for now, back to my other projects.
                        >
                        > Yvianne
                        > AEthelmearc

                      • Yvianne
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                          > Perhaps she outgrew them? They were hand-me-downs?

                          There are a whole handful of logical reasons... Sadly we'll probably never
                          have any conclusive answer.

                          > I don't think the craftsman who made them would want to be known as
                          > someone who made uncomfortable or I'll-fitted products.

                          I think if they didn't fit it was probably by accident, not design.

                          I own 3 circlets, 2 were commissioned and one is self made. Only one of the
                          commissioned ones fits properly, but the artist made a obvious mistake. He
                          offered to replace it but it might be a year before I would have it back. I
                          decided the rest of the circlet was so lovely and fit so well that those
                          considerations outweighed the flaw.

                          Why didn't I send the ill fitting circlet back? I wanted it for a specific
                          event. There wasn't time for a new one to be made so I had to wear the one I
                          received. Once it served it's useful purpose I didn't need it anymore. It's
                          become a "loaner circlet" :-)

                          The one I made is also wrong. Just about 1/4 of an inch too small, but boy
                          does it make a difference sometimes. Even something as silly as how I braid
                          my hair can cause it to ride a little higher than I like in the front and
                          dip down in the back.

                          So why don't I make a new one? Time, effort and money ... plus I can still
                          wear it if I braid my hair differently and wear a really thin veil
                          underneath. It doesn't look quite the same as the picture I had in my head
                          as I created it, but it's still period in appearance.

                          I just realized these answers would sound just as reasonable coming from a
                          medieval lady trying to explain why her cauls appear too short. :-)

                          Yvianne

                        • Kathleen - Yahoo
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                            .Alright everyone, I'm tired of seeing this group being so sluggish....
                            What are you working on? What are you researching?...

                            Well, I just finished a "horned" henin. The base was made from a pattern
                            Mistress Truly shared with me before heading to MN. After the base was made
                            in buckram, I then padded it with quilters batting and covered it in white
                            linen. The I had a friend hand sew the silk lining in with the linen and
                            then I made a series of slip covers for the whole thing out of various
                            brocades so my hat can "match" my houpelaunde. I have several and the hat's
                            covers do not necessarily match, but are of similar tones.

                            The overall effect is disappointing, because when I wear my veil over the
                            henin it is not at all visible. I might as well have made it out of
                            cardboard. The profile is perfect, but the effort of covering the henin in
                            slip on brocade was pointless. My veils are habtoi silk, very fine and about
                            as see through as you can get. I am assuming that some of the pictures we
                            have of paintings which show the nearly invisible veils are exaggerations. I
                            suppose an organza would yield a more translucent veil, but the drape would
                            be wrong.

                            The whole thing is not an utter failure, but I am now planning to make a
                            beaded "crown" of three dimensional snowflakes to top the whole thing off
                            and give it more. umph!

                            Plodding away in An Tir,

                            rignachofargyllarms-signature

                            Rignach of Argyll

                            Lancer of Madrone

                          • jillwheezul
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                              > The overall effect is disappointing, because when I wear my veil over
                              > the
                              > henin it is not at all visible. I might as well have made it out of
                              > cardboard. The profile is perfect, but the effort of covering the henin
                              > in
                              > slip on brocade was pointless. My veils are habtoi silk, very fine and
                              > about
                              > as see through as you can get. I am assuming that some of the pictures
                              > we
                              > have of paintings which show the nearly invisible veils are
                              > exaggerations. I
                              > suppose an organza would yield a more translucent veil, but the drape
                              > would
                              > be wrong.
                              >
                              > The whole thing is not an utter failure, but I am now planning to make
                              > beaded "crown" of three dimensional snowflakes to top the whole thing
                              > off
                              > and give it more. umph!
                              >
                              > Plodding away in An Tir,
                              >
                              > rignachofargyllarms-signature
                              >
                              > Rignach of Argyll
                              >
                              > Lancer of Madrone

                              You might wish to ask Pastiche if they are still selling their ultra fine
                              linen. I happily bought some - It is quite see through - and the other
                              thought is to get a silk that is of a looser weave. The light china silk
                              is fine stuff, but it is tightly woven together to serve as lining and
                              doesn't let much light pass through.

                              Katherine in Three Mountains
                            • toriruhl
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                                You should post a picture. I would love to see it.

                                --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen - Yahoo" wrote:

                                > .Alright everyone, I'm tired of seeing this group being so sluggish....
                                > What are you working on? What are you researching?...
                                >

                                > Well, I just finished a "horned" henin. The base was made from a pattern
                                > Mistress Truly shared with me before heading to MN. After the base was made
                                > in buckram, I then padded it with quilters batting and covered it in white
                                > linen. The I had a friend hand sew the silk lining in with the linen and
                                > then I made a series of slip covers for the whole thing out of various
                                > brocades so my hat can "match" my houpelaunde. I have several and the hat's
                                > covers do not necessarily match, but are of similar tones.
                                >

                                > The overall effect is disappointing, because when I wear my veil over the
                                > henin it is not at all visible. I might as well have made it out of
                                > cardboard. The profile is perfect, but the effort of covering the henin in
                                > slip on brocade was pointless. My veils are habtoi silk, very fine and about
                                > as see through as you can get. I am assuming that some of the pictures we
                                > have of paintings which show the nearly invisible veils are exaggerations. I
                                > suppose an organza would yield a more translucent veil, but the drape would
                                > be wrong.
                                >

                                > The whole thing is not an utter failure, but I am now planning to make a
                                > beaded "crown" of three dimensional snowflakes to top the whole thing off
                                > and give it more. umph!
                                >

                                > Plodding away in An Tir,
                                >

                                > rignachofargyllarms-signature
                                >
                                > Rignach of Argyll
                                >
                                > Lancer of Madrone

                              • Catrijn vanden Westhende
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                                  On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Kathleen - Yahoo
                                  <rignachargyll@...> wrote:
                                  > The overall effect is disappointing, because when I wear my veil over the
                                  > henin it is not at all visible. I might as well have made it out of
                                  > cardboard. The profile is perfect, but the effort of covering the henin in
                                  > slip on brocade was pointless. My veils are habtoi silk, very fine and about
                                  > as see through as you can get. I am assuming that some of the pictures we
                                  > have of paintings which show the nearly invisible veils are exaggerations. I
                                  > suppose an organza would yield a more translucent veil, but the drape would
                                  > be wrong.

                                  I recommend silk gauze for this, like the 3mm stuff from Dharma:
                                  http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/gauze.html

                                  It's lighter and more transparent than the finest habotai I've seen so far.

                                  - Catrijn
                                • antoniadt2000
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                                    I've been working on a horned headdress for a regional A&S faire and writing a series of articles on the process for my barony's newsletter. I based the shape on the Arnolfini portrait. I used a pair of small baskets for the frames. There were supposed to be a number of other things going on with it but circumstances changed [shrug]

                                    I have made a couple of others like this; on one I cast the pewter metal bits and the 2nd one I used decorative metal screenig for the side pieces.

                                    Antonia di Troina

                                  • Barbara
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                                      For someone who rarely wears any kind of hat in the modern world, I am wild
                                      about all sorts of Medieval hats!

                                      My passion, though, is Russian Headdresses for women. I've made quite a
                                      few, but none have reached the pearly ornateness that are described in
                                      period sources. Sadly, extant examples are hard to come by, as are
                                      paintings of the same.

                                      So I base my hats mostly on the costumes from a ball held in 1903 in Russia.
                                      They were trying to recreate a 17th century look. The hats match
                                      descriptions of earlier period hats.

                                      I'll post some examples in the photo section.

                                      Mir,
                                      Tatjana
                                      ~Calontir

                                      "It's never too late to be what you might have been."

                                      Wolf and Tiger Woodworking
                                      www.wolfandtiger.com
                                    • Barbara
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                                        > On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Kathleen - Yahoo
                                        > <rignachargyll@...> wrote:
                                        >> The overall effect is disappointing, because when I wear my veil over the
                                        >> henin it is not at all visible. I might as well have made it out of
                                        >> cardboard. The profile is perfect, but the effort of covering the henin
                                        >> in
                                        >> slip on brocade was pointless. My veils are habtoi silk, very fine and
                                        >> about
                                        >> as see through as you can get. I am assuming that some of the pictures we
                                        >> have of paintings which show the nearly invisible veils are
                                        >> exaggerations. I
                                        >> suppose an organza would yield a more translucent veil, but the drape
                                        >> would
                                        >> be wrong.
                                        >

                                        > I recommend silk gauze for this, like the 3mm stuff from Dharma:
                                        > http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/gauze.html
                                        >
                                        > It's lighter and more transparent than the finest habotai I've seen so
                                        > far.
                                        >
                                        > - Catrijn

                                        I second the recommendation for Dharma. You can read through that sheer
                                        silk. It's high quality and beautiful.

                                        Mir!
                                        Tatjana
                                      • toriruhl
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 4, 2013
                                          What influenced your decision to use baskets instead of creating the cane framework yourself?

                                          Madelena

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Feb 5, 2013
                                            > I recommend silk gauze for this, like the 3mm stuff from Dharma:
                                            http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/gauze.html It's lighter and
                                            more transparent than the finest habotai I've seen so far. - Catrijn

                                            Yes. Habotai is fun stuff, but the later veils need to be as
                                            transparent as possible.

                                            In a book about early American clothing in Pennsylvania, I saw a photo
                                            of a bonnet (rather like the modern Amish bonnets) which was made of
                                            transparent linen. The caption emphasized that a thread thin enough to
                                            make transparent linen was not possible on a machine, but had to be spun
                                            by a skilled spinster, so it wasn't available any longer. Sorry to say,
                                            I don't have the citation details for this book; it was for sale in the
                                            gift shop at Valley Forge, and that's all I can tell you!

                                            As for the basketwork question, years ago I saw a short piece about the
                                            bearskin hats worn by the Beefeaters in England, and these are
                                            constructed on reed basketwork frames. It is of course not proof, but
                                            there aren't a lot of candidates for medievally-available, lightweight,
                                            strong, flexible frameworks. Those candidates are wirework, reed or
                                            basketry, vellum (leather), felt with hide glues, and possibly
                                            paper/cardboard. There's a thin cardboard supportasse for an
                                            Elizabethan wheel ruff extant, for example.

                                            Of these, the easiest to make/use these days is some kind of basket
                                            bought from a craft store and then altered to fit, but there is plenty
                                            of room for solid research into this, and I hope someone is doing that!

                                            Regards,
                                            Cynthia du Pre Argent
                                          • antoniadt2000
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Feb 5, 2013
                                              Lack of materials. I have no basketry supplies or equipment to work with; it is another skill I have read about but have not done.

                                              Antonia

                                              What influenced your decision to use baskets instead of creating the cane framework yourself?

                                              Madelena

                                              --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, AntoniadiTroina@... wrote:

                                              > I've been working on a horned headdress for a regional A&S faire and writing a series of articles on the process for my barony's newsletter. I based the shape on the Arnolfini portrait. I used a pair of small baskets for the frames. There were supposed to be a number of other things going on with it but circumstances changed [shrug]
                                              >
                                              > I have made a couple of others like this; on one I cast the pewter metal bits and the 2nd one I used decorative metal screenig for the side pieces.
                                              >
                                              > Antonia di Troina

                                            • rachelle_stephen
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Feb 26, 2013
                                                Hello, Rignach
                                                I've worn a hennin - both veiled and uncovered (a la van der Weyden), for the last 10 years or so... I prefer silk chiffon for the veil over the hennin, because it allows the 'fancy work' to show through and still drapes/flutters beautifully.

                                                I hope this helps!
                                                --Ysabeau Durant, Trimaris

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Feb 26, 2013
                                                  I made 3 different sets of cauls, wearing floral foam, hollowed out (and NOT hollowed--ouch!) until I hit on a caul construction that suits my curly hair and low pain thresholds. I buy the biggest curlers I can find, use a hacksaw to shorten to desired length and then cover the shortened curler with 2 layers of chocolate brown nylon stockings. Braid hair supply store hair, saving those pesky single hairs taht *always* come out when making long braids... Apply spray adhesive to your headband (curly hair = metal headband!) and wrap with those single hairs. Unglue/unstick yourself from the headband and go to bed: the adhesive really does take 24 hours to dry...

                                                  The next day, wire your headband into the holes in the curler that fit your head best. Pull down all the shades and walk around, singing 80's disco music, vacuum or empty the dishwasher to make sure your caul under-structure is secure and comfortable. THEN cover your stockinged curlers with braided hair and gold netting, if you have any.

                                                  I store this headpiece in an empty dry (powder) detergent box, inside plastic grocery bags.

                                                  Most importantly: you should enjoy wearing your hat or headpiece: if it's not comfortable, you're not going to wear it more than once...

                                                  Loving the activity on this list,
                                                  think I'm going to forge ahead with my Christine de Pisan headpiece next... Thanks for the inspiration!

                                                  --Ysabeau Durant, Trimaris

                                                  --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "toriruhl" <truhl75@...> wrote:

                                                  > Perhaps she outgrew them? They were hand-me-downs?
                                                  > I don't think the craftsman who made them would want to be known as someone who made uncomfortable or I'll-fitted products.
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Yvianne" wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I'm researching another topic right now, but I'm always on the lookout for
                                                  > > anything having to do with cauls. :-)
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I recently read a thesis that vaguely resembles "Medieval Finds from
                                                  > > Excavations in London: Dress Accessories". It included pictures of an effigy
                                                  > > wearing cauls almost exactly like the ones I wear.... a metal band with
                                                  > > ovals hanging from the lower edge (some refer to them as strainer cauls or
                                                  > > Princess Leia style).
                                                  > >
                                                  > > The main difference is the ones on the effigy are smaller and worn so that
                                                  > > part of the ear sticks out the bottom. I see this occasionally but without
                                                  > > any discernable pattern that allows me to conclude it was a fad.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I've tried wearing cauls this way. It allows for better hearing... the down
                                                  > > side is: if you wear them mid ear, they do slightly rub against your
                                                  > > earlobe. Not so much that it hurts but they just feel weird. At the end of
                                                  > > the day, when you take off the cauls, you really notice it. Your earlobes
                                                  > > can be a bit touchy for days or even show a bit of bruising.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Something else I wonder about ... if this was how the ladies wanted the
                                                  > > cauls to look when they commissioned them, or whether they adjusted
                                                  > > themselves to this position??
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I've been wearing cauls for 15 years and have a lot of experience with that
                                                  > > particular phenomenon. ;-) If either the side pieces or headband are "off"
                                                  > > for the shape of your head or location of your ears the headpiece will move
                                                  > > to where it fits. Your hair will adjust to the cauls, not hold them in
                                                  > > place.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Sometimes you don't notice, sometimes the cauls are so uncomfortable to wear
                                                  > > any other way that you don't care. Since they couldn't just go to Wal-Mart
                                                  > > and exchange them, they would have worn them anyway.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I also have a pair of cauls that don't fit me quite right yet I continue to
                                                  > > wear them... often, for the past 8 years or so. It would have been a waste
                                                  > > time, effort but most of all, money to trash them and start over. I wear
                                                  > > them because it's what I have. A new headpiece is on my list of things to
                                                  > > do, but it keeps getting pushed to the back because they are wearable.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > When I have the time...
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I need to pursue other images of the lady in the effigy to see if I can find
                                                  > > other representations of her headwear. I'm curious if she wore cauls often,
                                                  > > if she wore other styles and if they always covered part of her ears.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I also plan on looking more information on the twisted wires that are shown
                                                  > > in the paper.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Oh, and I need a new pair of cauls ;-)
                                                  > >
                                                  > > ... but for now, back to my other projects.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Yvianne
                                                  > > AEthelmearc

                                                • steph sitzes
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Feb 26, 2013
                                                    Ysabeau,
                                                    do you have a photo of yourself wearing them? I really would love to see them!
                                                    Arianna

                                                  • rachelle_stephen
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Feb 28, 2013
                                                      I still avoid the camera...and don't Facebook (FB is *evil!) but I'll try to post one after next event...after Gulf Wars - in April?

                                                      thanks for asking!
                                                      Flattered is,
                                                      Ysabeau

                                                      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, steph sitzes <stephehawk@...> wrote:

                                                      > Ysabeau,
                                                      > do you have a photo of yourself wearing them? I really would love to see them!
                                                      > Arianna

                                                    • rachelle_stephen
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Mar 29, 2013
                                                        sounds *gorgeous*, Rignach! Have you considered using silk chiffon for your 'Burgundian' veils? I do...

                                                        Thanks for sharing!
                                                        --Ysabeau JL Durant, Trimaris

                                                        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen - Yahoo" <rignachargyll@...> wrote:

                                                        > .Alright everyone, I'm tired of seeing this group being so sluggish....
                                                        > What are you working on? What are you researching?...
                                                        >

                                                        > Well, I just finished a "horned" henin. The base was made from a pattern
                                                        > Mistress Truly shared with me before heading to MN. After the base was made
                                                        > in buckram, I then padded it with quilters batting and covered it in white
                                                        > linen. The I had a friend hand sew the silk lining in with the linen and
                                                        > then I made a series of slip covers for the whole thing out of various
                                                        > brocades so my hat can "match" my houpelaunde. I have several and the hat's
                                                        > covers do not necessarily match, but are of similar tones.
                                                        >

                                                        > The overall effect is disappointing, because when I wear my veil over the
                                                        > henin it is not at all visible. I might as well have made it out of
                                                        > cardboard. The profile is perfect, but the effort of covering the henin in
                                                        > slip on brocade was pointless. My veils are habtoi silk, very fine and about
                                                        > as see through as you can get. I am assuming that some of the pictures we
                                                        > have of paintings which show the nearly invisible veils are exaggerations. I
                                                        > suppose an organza would yield a more translucent veil, but the drape would
                                                        > be wrong.
                                                        >

                                                        > The whole thing is not an utter failure, but I am now planning to make a
                                                        > beaded "crown" of three dimensional snowflakes to top the whole thing off
                                                        > and give it more. umph!
                                                        >

                                                        > Plodding away in An Tir,
                                                        >

                                                        > rignachofargyllarms-signature
                                                        >
                                                        > Rignach of Argyll
                                                        >
                                                        > Lancer of Madrone

                                                      • Stephehawk
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Mar 29, 2013
                                                          I would still love to see it!
                                                          Arianna
                                                          GleNn abhann

                                                          On Mar 29, 2013, at 8:45 AM, "rachelle_stephen" <rachelle.stephen@...> wrote:

                                                          > sounds *gorgeous*, Rignach! Have you considered using silk chiffon for your 'Burgundian' veils? I do...
                                                          >
                                                          > Thanks for sharing!
                                                          > --Ysabeau JL Durant, Trimaris
                                                          >
                                                          > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen - Yahoo" <rignachargyll@...> wrote:
                                                          > >
                                                          > > .Alright everyone, I'm tired of seeing this group being so sluggish....
                                                          > > What are you working on? What are you researching?...
                                                          > >

                                                          > > Well, I just finished a "horned" henin. The base was made from a pattern
                                                          > > Mistress Truly shared with me before heading to MN. After the base was made
                                                          > > in buckram, I then padded it with quilters batting and covered it in white
                                                          > > linen. The I had a friend hand sew the silk lining in with the linen and
                                                          > > then I made a series of slip covers for the whole thing out of various
                                                          > > brocades so my hat can "match" my houpelaunde. I have several and the hat's
                                                          > > covers do not necessarily match, but are of similar tones.
                                                          > >

                                                          > > The overall effect is disappointing, because when I wear my veil over the
                                                          > > henin it is not at all visible. I might as well have made it out of
                                                          > > cardboard. The profile is perfect, but the effort of covering the henin in
                                                          > > slip on brocade was pointless. My veils are habtoi silk, very fine and about
                                                          > > as see through as you can get. I am assuming that some of the pictures we
                                                          > > have of paintings which show the nearly invisible veils are exaggerations. I
                                                          > > suppose an organza would yield a more translucent veil, but the drape would
                                                          > > be wrong.
                                                          > >

                                                          > > The whole thing is not an utter failure, but I am now planning to make a
                                                          > > beaded "crown" of three dimensional snowflakes to top the whole thing off
                                                          > > and give it more. umph!
                                                          > >

                                                          > > Plodding away in An Tir,
                                                          > >

                                                          > > rignachofargyllarms-signature
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Rignach of Argyll
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Lancer of Madrone

                                                        • rachelle_stephen
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , May 27 5:34 PM
                                                            Okay, no activity on this list for a *long* time, so maybe you won't mind if I chatter a little bit?

                                                            In the torpid Trimarian (Floridian) summers, I am not inclined to put on a hat and just want my hair off the neck. Greek is popular and the Roman Empire was done *beautifully* by a recent, beloved Crown. After wearing a sakkos (*GREAT* documentation source here: http://dspace.ucalgary.ca/bitstream/1880/46383/1/Thesis_Fischer.pdf) for 2 years, I really needed something new for our Crowne Lyst, held on Memorial Day weekend.

                                                            This simple hair piece is 4 braids made from the Beauty Supply Store (you *must* bring a spotter when choosing fake hair, no matter how long your hair is!) They are sewn together into one long braid, and the top 3 coils of the coronet are then sewn together with wool thread. I left the bottom coil unsewn for 7/8 of its length, for adjustablility. Pinned up my very modern shoulder-length thick curly hair into a pony tail and dropped the braided coronet over the top, pinning the bottom coil for balance using hair screws (http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=goody+hair+spin+pin&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=1101079961&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13054655611042834504&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_bvs10xl1k_b)

                                                            Now, the question is, do I have the nerve to do the Capitoline Venus at the next summer event in Trimaris? I might need some encouragement...

                                                            Ambience is easy,
                                                            and sometimes breezy,
                                                            Ysabeau

                                                            --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "rachelle_stephen" <rachelle.stephen@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                            > > > and exchange them, they would have worn them anyway.
                                                            > > >
                                                            > > > I also have a pair of cauls that don't fit me quite right yet I continue to
                                                            > > > wear them... often, for the past 8 years or so. It would have been a waste
                                                            > > > time, effort but most of all, money to trash them and start over. I wear
                                                            > > > them because it's what I have. A new headpiece is on my list of things to
                                                            > > > do, but it keeps getting pushed to the back because they are wearable.
                                                            > > >
                                                            > > > When I have the time...
                                                            > > >
                                                            > > > I need to pursue other images of the lady in the effigy to see if I can find
                                                            > > > other representations of her headwear. I'm curious if she wore cauls often,
                                                            > > > if she wore other styles and if they always covered part of her ears.
                                                            > > >
                                                            > > > I also plan on looking more information on the twisted wires that are shown
                                                            > > > in the paper.
                                                            > > >
                                                            > > > Oh, and I need a new pair of cauls ;-)
                                                            > > >
                                                            > > > ... but for now, back to my other projects.

                                                          • rachelle_stephen
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , May 27 5:45 PM
                                                              Dagnabbit, the whole point was to share photos this time...

                                                              Photo illustrations for this conversation can be found in Ysabeau album.

                                                              (doh!)