Re: fillet questions

  • HL Caitlin nic Raighne
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2012
      Many years ago I took a class at Pennsic War that taught how to make a fillet using newspaper and duct tape! The newspaper was used to draw that pattern and make sure it fit the head. Then we covered both sides of the paper with layers of duct tape. Then we sausaged that between layers of linen. I love the fact that the hat is flexible, yet holds its shape. It is packs beautifully and is great for camping. I wish I could remember the name of the laurel who taught the class; she was wonderful.
      Caitlin nic Raighne

      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "rachelle_stephen" <rachelle.stephen@...> wrote:

      > Xray film - I *like* that! I've used plastic needlepoint canvas and 3 layers white linen for fillets (piecrust or plain/flat-topped), because I, too, feel the need to wash these lovely simple hats after a Trimarian (Florida) event...
      >
      > I use 2 layers outside linen and 1 inside linen, hand-stitched, slide the needlepoint plastic inside and whipstitch closed along the crown. Each piece lasts me about 2 years, with regular washings.
      >
      > Xray film - I'm using that :-)
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Ysabeau Durant
      >
      > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Julie <jtknits@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I made a "piecrust" hat in white linen. I think that's correctly called a fillet. I used X-ray film as interfacing taped together with clear packing tape. I wanted something washable since the fillet would be touching my forehead. I didn't want buckram because it doesn't like getting wet and I didn't want plastic needlepoint canvas because the little squares would have shown. I could have padded it but I was going for quick & simple. Hubby worked at a hosital at the time and X-ray trash was easy to get.
      > > Julie
      > >
      > > > I must round off my 12th century garb *finally*. I have been working on my garb construction for some time. I took the pattern fro a Barbette and fillet from the Medieval Tailor book. I have posted on my blog, but i am not sure i am making it right or the right size.
      > > > My next pieces have turned out to be more pill/box hat types that sit farther back on the hat on the crown. I am not sure the authenticity or accuracy and would like some feedback.
      > > > All my fillet/hats have been built with several layers of fusible interfacing. I used 100% linen. They are not too rigid but they are comfortable.
      > > > Any advice I can get the better.

    • Leah Lloyd
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2012
        How long ago was this class?  It might have been me who taught it.

        Danabren

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 29, 2012
          It was at Pennsic 30, and yes, you were the instructor. I really enjoyed the class.

          Caitlin

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 30, 2012
            You made my day :)  I am so glad you enjoyed the class!

            (And I wasn't made a Laurel until Pennsic 31  *grin*)

            Danabren/Soga