Capiglaira

  • michelinamedici
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2012
      Greetings unto the Group,

      Hello. I am Michelina Elaina de Medici, an early 16th cent Italian woman.
      I am currently working on this outfit but am at a loss of how to make the hat. I believe it is called a capiglaira but am not sure of how to make it.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/venezia1/blicinio1520-30lady.jpg
      I think it is how the balzo changed as styles. I think the capiglaira has a similar base as the balzo but with a bigger roll around the head.
      I do not have any idea of how the crown of this hat looks, as I have not been able to find any images of the back of the hat, as of yet. Any insight or help with constructing this hat would be sincerely appeciated.
      YIS and Of the Dream
      Michelina
    • wheezul@canby.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20, 2012
        Hi,

        I found this:

        http://books.google.it/books?id=S8bTzilz1BMC&lpg=PA34&dq=capigliara&hl=it&pg=PA34#v=onepage&q=capigliara&f=false

        although I wonder how the author determined this.

        Katherine

        > Greetings unto the Group,
        >
        > Hello. I am Michelina Elaina de Medici, an early 16th cent Italian woman.
        > I am currently working on this outfit but am at a loss of how to make the
        > hat. I believe it is called a capiglaira but am not sure of how to make
        > it.
        > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/venezia1/blicinio1520-30lady.jpg
        > I think it is how the balzo changed as styles. I think the capiglaira has
        > a similar base as the balzo but with a bigger roll around the head.
        > I do not have any idea of how the crown of this hat looks, as I have not
        > been able to find any images of the back of the hat, as of yet. Any
        > insight or help with constructing this hat would be sincerely appeciated.
        > YIS and Of the Dream
        > Michelina

      • Michelina Medici
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2012
          Ohhhhhhhhh,  I am looking forward to looking thru it this evening.

          I have never seen this before.

          Thanks for sharing

          Michelina

          although I wonder how the author determined this.

          Katherine

          > Greetings unto the Group,
          >
          > Hello. I am Michelina Elaina de Medici, an early 16th cent Italian woman.
          > I am currently working on this outfit but am at a loss of how to make the
          > hat. I believe it is called a capiglaira but am not sure of how to make
          > it.
          > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/venezia1/blicinio1520-30lady.jpg
          > I think it is how the balzo changed as styles. I think the capiglaira has
          > a similar base as the balzo but with a bigger roll around the head.
          > I do not have any idea of how the crown of this hat looks, as I have not
          > been able to find any images of the back of the hat, as of yet. Any
          > insight or help with constructing this hat would be sincerely appeciated.
          > YIS and Of the Dream
          > Michelina

        • Michelina Medici
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20, 2012
            Katherine

            Hmmm, There are many images of this type of 'hat' that is the same size but appear to be real hats covered with fabric. Very interesting.

            I am not sure I fallow the logic of the author, but I am not well read. I have so much to learn.

            Thank you for your assistance.

            Michelina

            although I wonder how the author determined this.

            Katherine

            > Greetings unto the Group,
            >
            > Hello. I am Michelina Elaina de Medici, an early 16th cent Italian woman.
            > I am currently working on this outfit but am at a loss of how to make the
            > hat. I believe it is called a capiglaira but am not sure of how to make
            > it.
            > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/venezia1/blicinio1520-30lady.jpg
            > I think it is how the balzo changed as styles. I think the capiglaira has
            > a similar base as the balzo but with a bigger roll around the head.
            > I do not have any idea of how the crown of this hat looks, as I have not
            > been able to find any images of the back of the hat, as of yet. Any
            > insight or help with constructing this hat would be sincerely appeciated.
            > YIS and Of the Dream
            > Michelina

          • Michelina Medici
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 20, 2012
              Hi,

              I found this on Realm of Venus:

              http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/library/headwear2.htm

              Perhaps the capigliara is an super sized balzo?

              Michelina