Italian men's hats from 1490's

  • HL Caitlin nic Raighne
    Message 1 of 5 , May 16, 2012
      I have a question on the construction of Italian men's hats circa 1490 decade. The hats look like little beanies. Is it the general consensus that they are made by piecing gores together for the top, or is it a flat top pieced to a band (like the women's toques from earlier times, or are they formed wool/felt? I would like to make one of these, but am not quite sure of the construction methods of that time period. Any help would be appreciated. I have uploaded two pictures into the photo album Caitlin nic Raighne's ideas.

      Thank you for the help.
      Caitlin nic Raighne
    • fynehats2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 17, 2012
        It seems to me as though these were made from felt hat tips, blocked for the head with the brim part cut off. It does not have the look of a gored, pieced hat but made all of one piece. There are several vendors who may sell hat blanks (JudithM.com or Hats by Leko are millinery sources). You can use the leftover brim to make another hat!

        Donna Scarfe
        Fyne Hats By Felicity
        www.fynehatsbyfelicity.com

        Italian men's hats from 1490's
        Posted by: "HL Caitlin nic Raighne" caitlinnicraighne@... caitlinnicraighne
        Wed May 16, 2012 10:20 am (PDT)

        I have a question on the construction of Italian men's hats circa 1490 decade. The hats look like little beanies. Is it the general consensus that they are made by piecing gores together for the top, or is it a flat top pieced to a band (like the women's toques from earlier times, or are they formed wool/felt? I would like to make one of these, but am not quite sure of the construction methods of that time period. Any help would be appreciated. I have uploaded two pictures into the photo album Caitlin nic Raighne's ideas.

        Thank you for the help.
        Caitlin nic Raighne

      • Ranif
        Message 3 of 5 , May 17, 2012
          Caitlin
          If I may tie into your post with a request of my own.
          I'm making a couple of woven woollen hats/caps of your
          same time period question. Similar to a modern flat
          chef/baker's cap, made from gores. The illustration I
          took the idea from I can no longer find. I believe it
          was of a late medieval/early renaissance
          astrologer/astronomer.
          Does this illustration ring a bell with anyone in the
          group?
          Ranif

          --
          Nullus anxietas amicus
          Carpe argillam
          Message 4 of 5 , May 23, 2012
            IMO, They are probably felt blocked on a hat form, but it is also possible some styles were knitted and then felted (that's how they make berets).

            But I have faked them with black boiled wool cut in both the ways you describe. It helps if you find a wool that can be easily shrunk with steam from an iron, you can add a bit of curve to places where it's needed.

            Rashid

            --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "HL Caitlin nic Raighne" <caitlinnicraighne@...> wrote:

            > I have a question on the construction of Italian men's hats circa 1490 decade. The hats look like little beanies. Is it the general consensus that they are made by piecing gores together for the top, or is it a flat top pieced to a band (like the women's toques from earlier times, or are they formed wool/felt? I would like to make one of these, but am not quite sure of the construction methods of that time period. Any help would be appreciated. I have uploaded two pictures into the photo album Caitlin nic Raighne's ideas.
            >
            > Thank you for the help.
            > Caitlin nic Raighne

          • HL Caitlin nic Raighne
            Message 5 of 5 , May 24, 2012
              Thank you for your suggestions. I will look for felted hat blanks. Since I live within 30 miles of the Stetson hat factory in St. Joseph, MO I think I just might need to go up there and check out their remnants. :)
              Caitlin