pre tudor french hood

  • Steph Sitzes
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 24, 2012
      If I have asked before, I apologize, but does anyone have any suggestions, class handouts, links etc that would help me make a pre tudor french hood. IE before the ones that stand up. Also seen in spain.

      thank you,
      Arianna
    • aoyamanarime
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 25, 2012
        Tudor Costume and Fashion has a diagram of the cutting layout for an early Tudor french hood in the style of those worn by Anne of Brittany. I can scan the page that its on and upload it along with some pics of Anne of Brittany if that helps.

        Aoyama Narime
        moas, Shire of Eisental

        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Steph Sitzes" <stephehawk@...> wrote:

        > If I have asked before, I apologize, but does anyone have any suggestions, class handouts, links etc that would help me make a pre tudor french hood. IE before the ones that stand up. Also seen in spain.
        >
        > thank you,
        > Arianna

      • Stephehawk
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 25, 2012
          Oh that would be a huge help! Thank you so much! Please do!

          Arianna

          On Feb 25, 2012, at 7:22 AM, "aoyamanarime" <onewringgold@...> wrote:

          > Tudor Costume and Fashion has a diagram of the cutting layout for an early Tudor french hood in the style of those worn by Anne of Brittany. I can scan the page that its on and upload it along with some pics of Anne of Brittany if that helps.
          >
          > Aoyama Narime
          > moas, Shire of Eisental
          >
          > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Steph Sitzes" <stephehawk@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > If I have asked before, I apologize, but does anyone have any suggestions, class handouts, links etc that would help me make a pre tudor french hood. IE before the ones that stand up. Also seen in spain.
          > >
          > > thank you,
          > > Arianna
          > >

          > TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
          > IPhone user awarded $850 over data usage
          > An unemployed truck driver wins his small-claims court case against AT&T.
          > Privacy Policy

        • HL Caitlin nic Raighne
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 25, 2012
            I found this site. http://dutchrenaissanceclothing.wordpress.com/2012/01/21/the-beguin-hood-a-construction-diary/

            Hope it helps.
            Caitlin nic Raighne

            --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Steph Sitzes" <stephehawk@...> wrote:

            > If I have asked before, I apologize, but does anyone have any suggestions, class handouts, links etc that would help me make a pre tudor french hood. IE before the ones that stand up. Also seen in spain.
            >
            > thank you,
            > Arianna

          • Lorien Haigh
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 25, 2012
              There's also Mode Historique's research:
              http://www.modehistorique.com/research/Fabulous%20French%20Hoods.pdf

              Petronia Casta

              --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Steph Sitzes" <stephehawk@...> wrote:

              > > If I have asked before, I apologize, but does anyone have any
              > suggestions, class handouts, links etc that would help me make a pre tudor
              > french hood. IE before the ones that stand up. Also seen in spain.
              > >
              > > thank you,
              > > Arianna

            • Joan Silvertoppe
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 25, 2012
                To save folks some time, I've actually played with various pattern drafts to figure out how the Anne of Brittany hoods might have been made, compared to the images of the time period. I got distracted from actually doing any final write-up on them from my experiments but...

                In the end I realized a few things. First, it depends on what image you base your hood from that can affect your final pattern design. Not all images of Anne of Brittany has her wearing the same exact style of hood. Makes sense in that it may have changed slightly over time, or the artists may have rendered it differently. The other thing was that a simple rectangle actually come closest to most of the images I worked from - or at least it made a better starting point than the pattern in Norris' book (which is actually where I started). Also, a wire is very helpful in keeping the hood shaped right around the face, and that the hood works well with only a few brass pins to hold it to a coif - although I will admit I'm still playing with getting it tighter to the face without using a chin strap which I find annoying (and most images don't seem to show a chin strap although that may have simply been artist style again).

                If you want to see me wearing the AoB style of hood, I'm wearing it in my profile photo on Facebook. The black hood was made from silk/rayon velvet (so it is slippery but not that bad with the linen coif I'm wearing underneath it) and edged with a billiment of glass pearls on a wire, which is whipped to the edge. I'm wearing it with a circlet thingy that is more extra decoration than historically appropriate with an AoB hood, but the hood is decent.
                http://www.facebook.com/kimiko1

                I've also got images on both French hoods and various Anne of Brittany images. They would be under 'French Hood Images' or the 'Tudor Women 1480s-1540s' on my web site.
                http://www.kimiko1.com/research-16th/index.html

                I hope this helps some. And hopefully when I get some time, I'll finish my experiments and write up something about the Anne of Brittany hoods, with photos.

                Joan

                Lady Joan Silvertoppe
                A Gentlewoman's Accounts http://www.kimiko1.com

                Tudor Lady's Wardrobe pattern.
                http://www.margospatterns.com/Products/TudorLady.html

                On Feb 25, 2012, at 5:22 AM, aoyamanarime wrote:

                > Tudor Costume and Fashion has a diagram of the cutting layout for an early Tudor french hood in the style of those worn by Anne of Brittany.

              • Brad Moore
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 26, 2012
                  Arianna, if you would like to get together later this week, I have a couple of books/patterns for the beguin.  I will be tied up until Wednesday with thesis and work stuff, but after that should be free.

                  Je Reste,

                  Nicolas

                  Brad Moore

                  "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
                  - J.R.R. Tolkien

                  ________________________________
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 26, 2012
                    Nicholas, of course you are on this list! Lol! You and i haVe a play date in June! :D
                    I am very grateful for the information that i have received so far!
                    Arianna

                    On Feb 26, 2012, at 10:59 AM, Brad Moore <mamluk@...> wrote:

                    > Arianna, if you would like to get together later this week, I have a couple of books/patterns for the beguin. I will be tied up until Wednesday with thesis and work stuff, but after that should be free.
                    >
                    > Je Reste,
                    >
                    > Nicolas
                    >
                    > Brad Moore
                    >
                    > "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
                    > - J.R.R. Tolkien

                  • Steph Sitzes
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 28, 2012
                      Thanks everyone for the help. If anyone else has suggestions please suggest!
                      This is an ingoing project- so i get to take my time to do it.
                      I have agonized over this hood for a few years now and have just recently decided to take it back up!
                      Thank you all for sharing your knowledge,
                      Arianna