German headwear

  • agathawanderer
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 9, 2012
      Greetings everyone--
      I have some questions about the German headwear of the late 15th, early 16th century. Specifically, how are others creating their wulst/wulsthauben? I made mine using a stuffed, tapered tube attached to a small cap. It is light and of modest size, and quite "squishy". I'm thinking of remaking the wulst and stuffing it with wool/linen scraps to get a firmer stuffing.
      Also, has anyone else made a fringy piece that is seen on the nape of some German ladies in the Housebook Master images? I have made one, but I'd like to know others' thoughts on construction, purpose, etc. I have seen it called a gefrens.
      Thank you,
      Agatha Wanderer
    • Grace Morris
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 9, 2012
        I would suggest you join the GermanRenCostume group on yahoogroups.
        There is EXTENSIVE discussion on this, and other related topics, and
        the members are very knowledgeable. And helpful.

        Jessamyn di Piemonte
        Atlantia
        On Feb 9, 2012, at 7:02 AM, agathawanderer wrote:

        > Greetings everyone--
        > I have some questions about the German headwear of the late 15th,
        > early 16th century. Specifically, how are others creating their
        > wulst/wulsthauben? I made mine using a stuffed, tapered tube
        > attached to a small cap. It is light and of modest size, and quite
        > "squishy". I'm thinking of remaking the wulst and stuffing it with
        > wool/linen scraps to get a firmer stuffing.
        > Also, has anyone else made a fringy piece that is seen on the nape
        > of some German ladies in the Housebook Master images? I have made
        > one, but I'd like to know others' thoughts on construction, purpose,
        > etc. I have seen it called a gefrens.
        > Thank you,
        > Agatha Wanderer

      • GillianJewellWasAlicedelaPalace
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 9, 2012
          I'm figuring out german headwear from the same period...do you have links
          for these images?

          Thanks,

          Gillian Jewell

        • Kay Mead
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9, 2012
            Gillian,
            I have some images on my Pinterest page. If you search for Kay Mead or
            Kaymingo, you should find them.

            Ivetta
            On Feb 9, 2012 8:59 AM, "GillianJewellWasAlicedelaPalace" <
            gillianjewell2@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I'm figuring out german headwear from the same period...do you have links
            > for these images?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Gillian Jewell

          • agathawanderer
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 11, 2012
              Thanks for the information--I will surely check out the GermanRen group. Ivetta, I am on Pinterest too...I hope you don't mind that I also checked out your pins!
              Agatha

              --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Kay Mead <ladyivetta@...> wrote:

              > Gillian,
              > I have some images on my Pinterest page. If you search for Kay Mead or
              > Kaymingo, you should find them.
              >
              > Ivetta
              > On Feb 9, 2012 8:59 AM, "GillianJewellWasAlicedelaPalace" <
              > gillianjewell2@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > I'm figuring out german headwear from the same period...do you have links
              > > for these images?
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > Gillian Jewell

            • Kay Mead
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 11, 2012
                My pinterest is available for anyone! If you go to the people I'm
                following, Kate and P8trolila(?), have some really cool costuming pins.
                On Feb 11, 2012 7:04 AM, "agathawanderer" <agathawanderer@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Thanks for the information--I will surely check out the GermanRen group.
                > Ivetta, I am on Pinterest too...I hope you don't mind that I also checked
                > out your pins!
                > Agatha
                >
                > --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Kay Mead <ladyivetta@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Gillian,
                > > I have some images on my Pinterest page. If you search for Kay Mead or
                > > Kaymingo, you should find them.
                > >
                > > Ivetta
                > > On Feb 9, 2012 8:59 AM, "GillianJewellWasAlicedelaPalace" <
                > > gillianjewell2@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > **
                > > >

                > > > I'm figuring out german headwear from the same period...do you have
                > links
                > > > for these images?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks,
                > > >
                > > > Gillian Jewell

              • HL Caitlin nic Raighne
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 26, 2012
                  It appears that one must be a member, and I am not willing to join yet another group. Is it possible to access your information in another way?
                  Caitlin

                  --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Kay Mead <ladyivetta@...> wrote:

                  > Gillian,
                  > I have some images on my Pinterest page. If you search for Kay Mead or
                  > Kaymingo, you should find them.
                  >
                  > Ivetta
                  > On Feb 9, 2012 8:59 AM, "GillianJewellWasAlicedelaPalace" <
                  > gillianjewell2@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > I'm figuring out german headwear from the same period...do you have links
                  > > for these images?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > >
                  > > Gillian Jewell

                • HL Caitlin nic Raighne
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 26, 2012
                    Argh! I finally figured it out. I apologize for my slow learning curve on how to access unknown pages.