Prep for Atlantian 12th Night: Anne of Brittany Hood?

  • jastaelf
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2012
      Hi folks,

      I've been working on an ensemble to wear to Atlantian 12th Night, which has a theme this year of a Night in Vienna at the court of Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian in 1500. I have a question on the headdress. I'm going with a black velveteen hood in the style of Anne of Brittany and of Juana of Castile (known as "la Loca"). Here's Juana's portrait:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Meister_der_Magdalenenlegende_002.jpg

      It looks to me as if her hood is lined with self fabric from the gown, and though other portraits of the era show the wired fold-back (a pre-cursor to the separate billement of the French hood, perhaps?), this portrait of Juana doesn't show that as clearly. Mine's going to be wired. I have two questions:

      1) would it be better to make a runnel for the wire to pass through, much as one would make for a drawstring, or to whipstitch it in place? (also, what should be done to the ends to keep them from poking?) and

      2) would it be more 1500-ish to make the veil a simple large half-circle with decoration along the straight edge (and wiring underneath) or were ladies wearing them with the long notch toward the front on the curved edge, so the tails could hang down on either side of the neckline?

      I'd welcome any input; this is the first time I've made this early a hood.

      Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season!

      Cheers,
      Meli