Re: Slippage problems

  • Karen_Larsdatter
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11 3:57 PM
      I've found the best solution for me is to borrow one of my husband's old white linen coifs (see http://larsdatter.com/coifs.htm for the style that I mean) and tie the ties behind my head, instead of under my chin; then I pin the veil and wimple to the coif in such a way as to disguise the coif itself, basically using the coif as the anchor for the whole headdress.

      Best part of this arrangement -- at the end of the day, I just untie the coif, and the whole thing comes off at once. :-)

      I suspect a cap like St. Brigitta's (see http://larsdatter.com/birgitta-caps.htm for caps in that style) would also be useful for this sort of thing, too.

      Karen Larsdatter
      http://www.larsdatter.com
    • Christine Taylor
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 12 11:22 AM
        I just remembered how I used to solve the problem of slippage... I had my
        own braids which made wearing veils easier. Then I cut my hair and am back
        to false braids again. I attach them to a headband that pins around my head
        Alice-style and a veil goes over it. I had slippage until I remembered that
        I used to add a second linen band going around my forehead to the back of my
        head. Both bands pin together at their intersections. The forehead band
        keeps the head band and veil from sliding backwards.

        I remember that OP said she could not wear a ton of things on her head
        because of headaches, but the second forehead band is so light and thin that
        perhaps it will be all right. It might even help since it counterbalances
        the backward drag of the head band and veil. I'm perfectly secure with the
        2-band method even with heavy false braids. I just wish I remembered how I
        did it before I went to yesterday's windy event!

        Caitlin

        Caitlin Christiana Wintour OL
        Ad augusta per angusta (To high places by narrow roads)