RE: [SCA-Milliners] Slippage problems

  • Glynnis Hollindale
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 9, 2011
      Hello Aoife

      How long is that fine hair?

      I have a friend with very fine hair that is shoulder length and it is very
      nice to braid on her skull. It forms a very useful base to pin her veil to
      and it does not slip very often at all. Maybe you could do something like
      that?

      There are a range of factors in veil slippage. Look at how it might drag on
      your gown, some fabrics like to cling and as you bend forwards, it will add
      just that little extra pull. If you put up a picture of yourself wearing
      the veil it might spark some useful comments.

      Glynyhvar

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 9, 2011
        Hi Aoife,

        One of the tricks I have is to braid in little "antenna" on the top of
        my head. Just two braids, not French, that I can use for pinning my
        veils in place.

        Samia

        On 9/9/2011 9:39 AM, Eva wrote:
        > I'm having trouble getting my linen veil to stay put (generic 12th ish century). Both when wearing a chin and forehead strap or a full wimple after about 30 minutes to an hour everything starts slipping backwards and I end up with a sort of hairband look with about 1-2 inches of my hairline being visible. I have fine slick hair so that doesn't help either. I also suffer from headaches so there is a limit to how much I can stand strapped to my head.
        >
        > Any suggestions are very much appreciated.
        >
        > Aoife
        > Dun in Mara
      • Gianetta
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 10, 2011
          I'd second the braids, but you might also want to use some texturizing
          product on your hair before braiding to make it a little sticky or
          rough. Helps the braids to stay in, and helps the pins to stay in the
          braids.
          --
          Gianetta
          > 1a. Slippage problems
          >    Posted by: "Eva" aoifeniaodhagain@... aoifeniaodhagain
          >    Date: Fri Sep 9, 2011 7:39 am ((PDT))
          >
          > I'm having trouble getting my linen veil to stay put (generic 12th ish century).  Both when wearing a chin and forehead strap or a full wimple after about 30 minutes to an hour everything starts slipping backwards and I end up with a sort of hairband look with about 1-2 inches of my hairline being visible.  I have fine slick hair so that doesn't help either.  I also suffer from headaches so there is a limit to how much I can stand strapped to my head.
          >
          > Any suggestions are very much appreciated.
          >
          > Aoife
          > Dun in Mara
        • Kristen
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 10, 2011
            I'm having trouble getting my linen veil to stay put (generic 12th ish century). Both when wearing a chin and forehead strap or a full wimple after about 30 minutes to an hour everything starts slipping backwards and I end up with a sort of hairband look with about 1-2 inches of my hairline being visible. I have fine slick hair so that doesn't help either. I also suffer from headaches so there is a limit to how much I can stand strapped to my head.

            Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

            Aoife
            Dun in Mara

            I have been working on different kinds of veil underpinnings lately. I typically braid my hair, wrap linen around my hair to keep it up on my head, and then pin my veils to the first linen layer. If I have a wimple or barbette holding the first layer in place, my veils will hold for a long day outside in any weather. I don’t like putting products in my hair, but not washing it for a few days ahead of time helps keep everything in place. I also have been experimenting recently with both the St. Birgitta cap (a type of coif for women) and a knotted hair net like the one in MOL’s Textiles and Clothing.
            Pax,
            Elisa

          • edythmiller@juno.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 11, 2011
              There's evidence in 14th and 15th century illuminations that suggest head wraps or caps were worn under other headdress, mostly in the lower classes. Though this isn't true for earlier veils, I find that it still works wonderfully and also eliminates any "shading" that darker hair has under semi-transparent linen. A linen cap, such as the Saint Birgitta Cap style, if sized properly with the right amount of tension, is a great, sturdy base for all manner of other headdress, including veils. A mundane option I suggest, if you're OK with less than authentic techniques, is to cut the sleeves off a white T-shirt and use it was a headband (with the hemmed edge at the front, and the longer part of the sleeve over the top of your head.) Use the smallest size shirt that can comfortably stretch over your head. It does stretch and will eventually wear out, but washing and drying it after each wearing will help. The suggestion to not wash your hair right before an event is also a good one - slightly dirty hair seems to "grip" fabric a bit better. Edyth Miller
            • Karen_Larsdatter
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 11, 2011
                I've found the best solution for me is to borrow one of my husband's old white linen coifs (see http://larsdatter.com/coifs.htm for the style that I mean) and tie the ties behind my head, instead of under my chin; then I pin the veil and wimple to the coif in such a way as to disguise the coif itself, basically using the coif as the anchor for the whole headdress.

                Best part of this arrangement -- at the end of the day, I just untie the coif, and the whole thing comes off at once. :-)

                I suspect a cap like St. Brigitta's (see http://larsdatter.com/birgitta-caps.htm for caps in that style) would also be useful for this sort of thing, too.

                Karen Larsdatter
                http://www.larsdatter.com
              • Christine Taylor
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 12, 2011
                  I just remembered how I used to solve the problem of slippage... I had my
                  own braids which made wearing veils easier. Then I cut my hair and am back
                  to false braids again. I attach them to a headband that pins around my head
                  Alice-style and a veil goes over it. I had slippage until I remembered that
                  I used to add a second linen band going around my forehead to the back of my
                  head. Both bands pin together at their intersections. The forehead band
                  keeps the head band and veil from sliding backwards.

                  I remember that OP said she could not wear a ton of things on her head
                  because of headaches, but the second forehead band is so light and thin that
                  perhaps it will be all right. It might even help since it counterbalances
                  the backward drag of the head band and veil. I'm perfectly secure with the
                  2-band method even with heavy false braids. I just wish I remembered how I
                  did it before I went to yesterday's windy event!

                  Caitlin

                  Caitlin Christiana Wintour OL
                  Ad augusta per angusta (To high places by narrow roads)