Re: [SCA-Milliners] Slippage problems

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 9, 2011
      On 9/9/11 10:39 AM, Eva wrote:
      > I'm having trouble getting my linen veil to stay put (generic 12th ish century). Both when wearing a chin and forehead strap or a full wimple after about 30 minutes to an hour everything starts slipping backwards and I end up with a sort of hairband look with about 1-2 inches of my hairline being visible. I have fine slick hair so that doesn't help either. I also suffer from headaches so there is a limit to how much I can stand strapped to my head.
      >
      > Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

      My first guess would be that the linen is stretching. Either you can
      re-pin it, or when you iron it, be sure to do so under tension, so that
      it is as stretched as it is going to get.

      If that doesn't work, I use a linen coif for my daughter's veils instead
      of bands. As far as I can tell, the medieval folk didn't do that, but
      it looks good and some people like the convenience.

      cv

      --

      Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

      "Such virtue hath my pen...."-Shakespeare, Sonnet 81

      "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!"--Cynthia Virtue

    • Glynnis Hollindale
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 9, 2011
        Hello Aoife

        How long is that fine hair?

        I have a friend with very fine hair that is shoulder length and it is very
        nice to braid on her skull. It forms a very useful base to pin her veil to
        and it does not slip very often at all. Maybe you could do something like
        that?

        There are a range of factors in veil slippage. Look at how it might drag on
        your gown, some fabrics like to cling and as you bend forwards, it will add
        just that little extra pull. If you put up a picture of yourself wearing
        the veil it might spark some useful comments.

        Glynyhvar

        I'm having trouble getting my linen veil to stay put (generic 12th ish
        century). Both when wearing a chin and forehead strap or a full wimple after
        about 30 minutes to an hour everything starts slipping backwards and I end
        up with a sort of hairband look with about 1-2 inches of my hairline being
        visible. I have fine slick hair so that doesn't help either. I also suffer
        from headaches so there is a limit to how much I can stand strapped to my
        head.

        Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

        Aoife
        Dun in Mara

      • Sayyeda al-Kaslaania
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 9, 2011
          Hi Aoife,

          One of the tricks I have is to braid in little "antenna" on the top of
          my head. Just two braids, not French, that I can use for pinning my
          veils in place.

          Samia

          On 9/9/2011 9:39 AM, Eva wrote:
          > I'm having trouble getting my linen veil to stay put (generic 12th ish century). Both when wearing a chin and forehead strap or a full wimple after about 30 minutes to an hour everything starts slipping backwards and I end up with a sort of hairband look with about 1-2 inches of my hairline being visible. I have fine slick hair so that doesn't help either. I also suffer from headaches so there is a limit to how much I can stand strapped to my head.
          >
          > Any suggestions are very much appreciated.
          >
          > Aoife
          > Dun in Mara
        • Gianetta
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 10, 2011
            I'd second the braids, but you might also want to use some texturizing
            product on your hair before braiding to make it a little sticky or
            rough. Helps the braids to stay in, and helps the pins to stay in the
            braids.
            --
            Gianetta
            > 1a. Slippage problems
            >    Posted by: "Eva" aoifeniaodhagain@... aoifeniaodhagain
            >    Date: Fri Sep 9, 2011 7:39 am ((PDT))
            >
            > I'm having trouble getting my linen veil to stay put (generic 12th ish century).  Both when wearing a chin and forehead strap or a full wimple after about 30 minutes to an hour everything starts slipping backwards and I end up with a sort of hairband look with about 1-2 inches of my hairline being visible.  I have fine slick hair so that doesn't help either.  I also suffer from headaches so there is a limit to how much I can stand strapped to my head.
            >
            > Any suggestions are very much appreciated.
            >
            > Aoife
            > Dun in Mara
          • Kristen
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 10, 2011
              I'm having trouble getting my linen veil to stay put (generic 12th ish century). Both when wearing a chin and forehead strap or a full wimple after about 30 minutes to an hour everything starts slipping backwards and I end up with a sort of hairband look with about 1-2 inches of my hairline being visible. I have fine slick hair so that doesn't help either. I also suffer from headaches so there is a limit to how much I can stand strapped to my head.

              Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

              Aoife
              Dun in Mara

              I have been working on different kinds of veil underpinnings lately. I typically braid my hair, wrap linen around my hair to keep it up on my head, and then pin my veils to the first linen layer. If I have a wimple or barbette holding the first layer in place, my veils will hold for a long day outside in any weather. I don’t like putting products in my hair, but not washing it for a few days ahead of time helps keep everything in place. I also have been experimenting recently with both the St. Birgitta cap (a type of coif for women) and a knotted hair net like the one in MOL’s Textiles and Clothing.
              Pax,
              Elisa

            • edythmiller@juno.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 11, 2011
                There's evidence in 14th and 15th century illuminations that suggest head wraps or caps were worn under other headdress, mostly in the lower classes. Though this isn't true for earlier veils, I find that it still works wonderfully and also eliminates any "shading" that darker hair has under semi-transparent linen. A linen cap, such as the Saint Birgitta Cap style, if sized properly with the right amount of tension, is a great, sturdy base for all manner of other headdress, including veils. A mundane option I suggest, if you're OK with less than authentic techniques, is to cut the sleeves off a white T-shirt and use it was a headband (with the hemmed edge at the front, and the longer part of the sleeve over the top of your head.) Use the smallest size shirt that can comfortably stretch over your head. It does stretch and will eventually wear out, but washing and drying it after each wearing will help. The suggestion to not wash your hair right before an event is also a good one - slightly dirty hair seems to "grip" fabric a bit better. Edyth Miller
              • Karen_Larsdatter
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 11, 2011
                  I've found the best solution for me is to borrow one of my husband's old white linen coifs (see http://larsdatter.com/coifs.htm for the style that I mean) and tie the ties behind my head, instead of under my chin; then I pin the veil and wimple to the coif in such a way as to disguise the coif itself, basically using the coif as the anchor for the whole headdress.

                  Best part of this arrangement -- at the end of the day, I just untie the coif, and the whole thing comes off at once. :-)

                  I suspect a cap like St. Brigitta's (see http://larsdatter.com/birgitta-caps.htm for caps in that style) would also be useful for this sort of thing, too.

                  Karen Larsdatter
                  http://www.larsdatter.com
                • Christine Taylor
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 12, 2011
                    I just remembered how I used to solve the problem of slippage... I had my
                    own braids which made wearing veils easier. Then I cut my hair and am back
                    to false braids again. I attach them to a headband that pins around my head
                    Alice-style and a veil goes over it. I had slippage until I remembered that
                    I used to add a second linen band going around my forehead to the back of my
                    head. Both bands pin together at their intersections. The forehead band
                    keeps the head band and veil from sliding backwards.

                    I remember that OP said she could not wear a ton of things on her head
                    because of headaches, but the second forehead band is so light and thin that
                    perhaps it will be all right. It might even help since it counterbalances
                    the backward drag of the head band and veil. I'm perfectly secure with the
                    2-band method even with heavy false braids. I just wish I remembered how I
                    did it before I went to yesterday's windy event!

                    Caitlin

                    Caitlin Christiana Wintour OL
                    Ad augusta per angusta (To high places by narrow roads)