Anne of Cleves - Betrothal Portrait by Holbein

  • enigmaxix
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2011
      Hi Everyone;

      I am a wanting to re-create Anne of Cleaves hood she wore in the betrothal portrait by Holbein. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AnneCleves.jpg

      I'm needing help, because I'm not clear as to what style this is? Is it a form of a gabled hood (her's is not peaked)? Flemish cap? Seeing that Anne was German, I cannot find any similar hoods for her era in the literature. I'm sure they are probably there, I just haven't been lucky to find anything.

      Also would anyone have ideas for the construction of the sides caps? I looks as though the hat is layers: ribbon strap across the forehead, followed by gauze/boned veil insert, then the jewelled cap. It looks as though the sides are not flat like a gabled hood, rather cupped.

      Any ideas? suggestions?

      Best,
      Lady Elisabeata
      Barony of Lions Gate
    • wheezul@canby.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2011
        The name of this particular cap in German is a "Stickel" or "Stickelchen".
        We know this because Durer labeled one of his drawings and indeed the
        inventories of the area around Cologne list them.

        Katherine

        > Hi Everyone;
        >
        > I am a wanting to re-create Anne of Cleaves hood she wore in the betrothal
        > portrait by Holbein. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AnneCleves.jpg
        >
        > I'm needing help, because I'm not clear as to what style this is? Is it a
        > form of a gabled hood (her's is not peaked)? Flemish cap? Seeing that Anne
        > was German, I cannot find any similar hoods for her era in the literature.
        > I'm sure they are probably there, I just haven't been lucky to find
        > anything.
        >
        > Lady Elisabeata
        > Barony of Lions Gate

      • lm
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 28, 2011
          Excellent. Thank you. I see alot of good examples to reference too. Has
          anyone had success re-constructing this cap?