Re: [SCA-Milliners] German plumed hats

  • Dorinda Spidell
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2000
      Woodcuts often show the backs of the hats... But I wonder
      how they attached the plumes, too. Also the buckram I am
      trying to use to make my hat tends to buckle and crease.
      Viscountess Eden, OL

      >From: "Mickel (mka Lee) " <freegate@...>
      >To: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com
      >Subject: [SCA-Milliners] Hello!
      >Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 00:36:46 -0000
      >
      >Greetings to all!
      >
      >I just joined in and wanted to give a brief introduction. My love of
      >costuming has been perculating for about 15 years, but it finally
      >bubbled to the surface two years ago when I became active in the SCA.
      >
      >I decided I wanted a German Ren persona, partly because I love all
      >the
      >slash & puff styles. And the enormous plumed hats!
      >
      >One difficulty I'm having in re-creating these, though, is that I
      >can't seem to figure out just how all the feathers are attached onto
      >the hat. All the paintings I've seen show only the "front" part of
      >the hat. What does the "back" look like? Does anyone have any
      >suggestions?
      >
      >Tha

      >DON'T HATE YOUR RATE!
      >Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
      >0.0% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
      >Apply NOW!
      >
      >Shortcut URL to this page:
      > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-Milliners

    • leinwater
      Message 2 of 4 , May 29, 2002
        Good evening. My name is Adelheid and I am from the Barony of
        Darkwater in Trimaris. I have just this evening joined the group and
        I was wondering if these questions were ever answered, for I have the
        same questions?

        --- In SCA-Milliners@y..., "Dorinda Spidell" <viscountesseden@h...>
        wrote:
        > Woodcuts often show the backs of the hats... But I wonder
        > how they attached the plumes, too. Also the buckram I am
        > trying to use to make my hat tends to buckle and crease.
        > Viscountess Eden, OL

        Also, does anyone have documentation for the feather hats from
        Germany around 1520-1530? I would like to enter one in art/sci.

        Thanks!
      • Richard Mowbray
        Message 3 of 4 , May 29, 2002
          Hello fellow Hatiers!
          I'm in need of info on the construction of women's headgear from
          1300-1400 in France and England. Anything to do with cauls and
          associated pieces would be very helpful.

          Syr richard deMontbrai of Atlantia

          =====
          I Live to Serve
          Sir Richard

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 30, 2002
            I have some info up online at http://www.virtue.to -- happy reading!

            --
            Cynthia Virtue and/or
            Cynthia du Pré Argent

            "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet 81
            "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia V.