braid casings

  • Madeleine D
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2010
      Greetings,
      Since I have shoulder length braids and am trying to do mid to late 12th century England, what is the best way to make fake braid casings? The town I live in right now is very small and I can pretty much guarantee I can't buy fake hair anywhere,so I was hoping someone might have a trick that would make the casings not look so stuffed...thanks...

      Yours in Service,
      Lady Alice
      aka Madeleine
    • Yvianne
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2010
        My daughter had a similar problem.

        One time I made faux braids out of cotton crochet thread the color of her
        hair and they passed the 10 foot rule. I sewed the false braids to the ends
        of her real braids then used a filigree band of metal about an inch long to
        cover where they joined together.

        When she did Italian ren I did something similar but I wasn't so picky about
        what I stuffed the velvet braid case with, since nobody would see it anyway.
        I used a braid of bright yellow acrylic yarn. When she got her next hair cut
        I saved a lock of hair and used hot glue on one end to make it into a little
        bundle. I sewed it just inside the very bottom of the braid case. All you
        saw was her copper colored hair going into a black velvet braid case and
        about an inch of copper colored hair sticking out of the bottom. Everyone
        thought her hair was hip length. :-)

        Best of luck
        Yvianne

        > Since I have shoulder length braids and am trying to do mid to late
        > 12th century England, what is the best way to make fake braid casings? The
        > town I live in right now is very small and I can pretty much guarantee I
        > can't buy fake hair anywhere,so I was hoping someone might have a trick
        > that would make the casings not look so stuffed...thanks...
        >
        > Yours in Service,
        > Lady Alice
        > aka Madeleine

      • Peterson, Cindy
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2010
          Greetings all!

          The last time I sat the throne, we did this time period and I made braid
          casings. I found synthetic hair extensions online for a very reasonable
          price. http://www.beautychoice.com/ has them for $12. I cut a piece of
          gilded leather in the length of about 6 by 3 inches, stitched and glued
          the fake hair into the casings and sewed the long side of the gilded
          leather together. To attach the casings to my hair I first braided my
          real hair, securing them with a rubber band. I then tucked the ends into
          the casings and sewed the casings to my real braids just above the
          rubber band that held my braids.
          HRM Fiona