Assistance if I may

  • marie_de_ceo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2010
      Greetings to the list....

      My sister is working from a portrait of Catherin of Aragon

      http://tudorhistory.org/aragon/aragon.jpg

      Any input on what head wear would have been under this? What might have been worn with a dress of this status if not the one shown?

      My thanks

      Marie
    • Kirsten Garner
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2010
        Good afternoon,

        That is the standard English gable hood. There used to be instructions on making one linked off of Drea Leed's Elizabethan Costuming page, but that link seems to be down.

        Underneath it, the lady would have had her hair braided in two braids and wrapped around her head, as can *just* be seen in this portrait of Elizabeth of York (look closely just under the peak of the hat):
        http://www.elizabethan-portraits.com/ElizabethYork.jpg

        Whether or not there was also a small coif is anyone's guess. :)

        If you don't want to do the full gable, there are a couple other options:

        http://www.elizabethan-portraits.com/UnknownLady28.jpg
        from 1526ish

        or
        http://www.elizabethan-portraits.com/CecilyHeron.jpg
        Also from 1526ish, and showing one of Thomas More's daughters.

        That's a brief skimming. :) Hope it helps!

        Julian

        My sister is working from a portrait of Catherin of Aragon

        http://tudorhistory .org/aragon/ aragon.jpg

        Any input on what head wear would have been under this? What might have been worn with a dress of this status if not the one shown?

        My thanks

        Marie
      • Margaret Northwode
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2010
          On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Kirsten Garner <kngarner@...> wrote:
          > Good afternoon,
          >
          > That is the standard English gable hood. There used to be instructions on making one linked off of Drea Leed's Elizabethan Costuming page, but that link seems to be down.
          >
          > Underneath it, the lady would have had her hair braided in two braids and wrapped around her head, as can *just* be seen in this portrait of Elizabeth of York (look closely just under the peak of the hat):
          > http://www.elizabethan-portraits.com/ElizabethYork.jpg

          You can also see the end result of the method here at my Flickr set:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/mofnorwood/sets/72157600079047417/. I use
          this method for my underpinning, albeit with a French hood. Instead of
          using vellat, I used a more matte silk due to time and money
          constraints - I've got a line on some cheap black
          decently-not-too-slubby dupioni locally to me. Black cotton velveteen
          was about five times more. ;)

          > Whether or not there was also a small coif is anyone's guess. :)

          Having worn the French hood - a coif would be *useful* for this but if
          you go veil-and then over-headdress, i.e., layered headwear, you don't
          necessarily *need* it if you're putting your hair up in braids as
          Julian mentions I have lined the veil layer with linen - nice,
          removable linen layer. If you edge finish the linen and sew it such
          that it's meant to be removed, then it's removable, washable, and
          reusable as lining again and the layer when pinned into place into
          those (well-pinned) braids doesn't budge. And I mean no movement.
          Please note that in both scenarios, your hair's still braided
          underneath everything. A false braid will help out here if your
          natural hair isn't that long.

          Again, like Julian says, the coif question is really pretty debatable.
          The linen coif is already a frequently washed item so you wouldn't
          need to worry nearly as often about removing and laundering or
          replacing a lining for a veil. Especially if you lined the veil
          portion in linen, linen against linen, especially when pinned, also
          ain't likely to move appreciably.

          > If you don't want to do the full gable, there are a couple other options:
          >
          > http://www.elizabethan-portraits.com/UnknownLady28.jpg
          > from 1526ish
          >
          > or
          > http://www.elizabethan-portraits.com/CecilyHeron.jpg
          > Also from 1526ish, and showing one of Thomas More's daughters.

          Cecily is wearing one of the later English gable hoods which were
          increasingly informed by the less angular and enveloping -- and more
          fashionable -- French hood. Again, a coif under the whole thing, over
          braided hair, would be entirely reasonable.

          > That's a brief skimming. :) Hope it helps!
          >
          > Julian

          Likewise! :) I don't know about you all but it's a perfect day to stay
          inside and sew if you can!

          Margaret Northwode