Veils and Wimples

  • Cristiana & Gerald de Huntington
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2009
      Greetings SCA Milliners,

      As I am new to this list, please allow me to introduce myself. I am Cristiana de Huntington, from the Shire of River's Bend, Kingdom of An Tir. I have a strong interest in both hats and veils from the late 14th century.

      I am seeking information related to the construction of veils and wimples. There are not many women in my area who commonly wear veils. I am not certain about the best sizes and shapes. There seems to be a considerable variety. I know that there will be some variance based on how the veil is to be worn.

      I know that you must have previously discussed this topic at length. When I tried to search the archives, there were almost 4,000 messages to look at. It was overwhelming. :)

      I would appreciate any information or resources on this topic.

      With gratitude,
      Cristiana de Huntington
      Huntington House
      Shire of River's Bend

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2009
        There have been a lot of good websites about veils and wimples. One of
        them is my own, which has been surpassed in the dozen years since I
        wrote it, but might be a place to start: http://www.virtue.to/articles

        --

        Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

        "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet 81

        "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia Virtue