steaming solutions

  • Alexandria Doyle
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2009
      Greetings all

      I'm new to the list, have dabbled in hats and such things over the
      course of my sca life. Most of the hats in fact have been
      sewn-construction.

      I'm interested in trying a steamed/wool hat. If one doesn't have a
      steam iron that works (Well, the irons-there are two- both work, the
      steaming function doesn't) what can I use to get the steam that I
      need?

      Would something like a small room with pot of water on a burner work
      for enough steam?

      Smaller contained area, like an oven with a bowl of water?

      thanks
      alex

      --
      So much to do and so little attention span to get it done with…
    • Elizabeth Estervig
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2009
        Honestly a boiling tea kettle works pretty well. Just be careful with
        your fingers, and don't fill it so high that it will spit water.
        You'll want something that will have a direction for the steam (such
        as the spout) rather than just a bowl so that you can control which
        sections you steam.

        I'd also highly recommend the book "From the Neck Up" if you are
        looking for easy directions.

        -Beth