Stiffening

  • ester030@umn.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2009
      Hi,

      "Sizing" is the chemical used to make hats stiffer. Personally I'm used to
      the liquid kind. I would recommend getting out the hat blocks and covering
      them with tin foil then, using a paint brush you never need to use again,
      brush on several thin layers of sizing, letting it dry between layers,
      until you get the stiffness you desire. In a pinch you can use several
      layers of paint-thinned out shalac, but here are some of the sources I
      found with a quick google search:

      http://www.judithm.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=f165b1e85b9494c704a7a0f038cf8bcc

      http://www.hatsupply.com/sizingstiffeners.htm

      For more retailers I'd recommend using the ones in the book "From the Neck
      Up" by Denise Dreher. I'd look them up myself, but i have leant out my
      copy.
      http://www.amazon.com/Neck-Up-Illustrated-Guide-Hatmaking/dp/0941082008/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255019188&sr=8-1

      YIS,
      Beth