Help with Italian Ren Hair

  • cmsciulli
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 21, 2009
      Greetings!

      I need some help finishing off my Italian Renaissance look. . . what in the heck to do with my hair?!

      I chose to go with a Ghirlandio-esque Italian Renaissance look, and I love the Juliet caps worn in period. This costumer's site had some instructions involving a foam form to get this look: http://cadieux.mediumaevum.com/both-capulets.jpg

      I was wondering if anyone had any alternative tips and tricks?

      And then there is the issue of the hair itself. Not knowing I would be needing it, I cut my long hair to about shoulder length. I think that leaves hair taping out, right?

      I could possibly fake an updo like this, though: http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/images/3floren11.jpg

      Thanks for any help!
    • Melanie Cozad
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 21, 2009
        Hello,

        On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:38 AM, cmsciulli<cmsciulli@...> wrote:
        > Greetings!
        <snip>
        > And then there is the issue of the hair itself.  Not knowing I would be needing it, I cut my long hair to about shoulder length.  I think that leaves hair taping out, right?

        Not necessarily! My hair is about chin length and I managed to fake
        the look of taped hair at Pennsic with a bit of fake hair that matched
        the color of the underside of my hair.

        I apologize for the size of the pictures... I'm on my work computer
        right now and it doesn't have a program which allows me to resize
        photos.

        The complete ensemble.
        http://pics.livejournal.com/melaniesuzanne/pic/000syh68
        I was wearing a coif on the back of my head to cover my short hair.
        I'm still working on a cuffia that fits.

        I sewed the braid to a headband and then wrapped ribbon around both.
        http://pics.livejournal.com/melaniesuzanne/pic/000szy86

        This is the base headband. I picked up a bunch of them at Target. They
        have them in brown and black.
        http://pics.livejournal.com/melaniesuzanne/pic/000t0e60

        Hope this helps!
        Pippa
      • M'lady Foxy
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 21, 2009
          I purchased hair estentions at a local beauy store to do a coiled hairstyle even though my hair already fall below middle of my back.There's also a book my library has hat has great examples of hairstyles called what they wore.Check your local library or college librarys for similar books...

          > I need some help finishing off my Italian Renaissance look.
          > . . what in the heck to do with my hair?!
          >
          > I chose to go with a Ghirlandio-esque Italian Renaissance
          > look, and I love the Juliet caps worn in period.  This
          > costumer's site had some instructions involving a foam form
          > to get this look: http://cadieux.mediumaevum.com/both-capulets.jpg
          >
          > I was wondering if anyone had any alternative tips and
          > tricks?
          >
          > And then there is the issue of the hair itself.  Not
          > knowing I would be needing it, I cut my long hair to about
          > shoulder length.  I think that leaves hair taping out,
          > right?
          >
          > I could possibly fake an updo like this, though: http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/images/3floren11.jpg
          >

          > Thanks for any help!

          >   http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-MillinersYahoo!
          > Groups Links
          >

          >     mailto:SCA-Milliners-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • M'lady Foxy
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 21, 2009
            Mark twain said .. it's a poor man can only spell a word one way...
            Last email got away wihout corrections sorry bout that.Beauty stores also have a wider selection of colors and length of hair pieces..

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 21, 2009
              These are great ideas, thank you!

              I need to head out and get some fake hair and that book now. . .

              Any suggestions on making the juliet cap?