Re: pillbox hat

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 20 3:20 PM
      --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Yvianne" <yvianne@...> wrote:

      > I've never experienced the smell you describe in hide glue. I'm
      > curious if you make your own or buy it in dried or liquid form?
      > The only time I've had trouble with the smell of hide glue is
      > when I was heating it and didn't stir it as often as I should
      > have. It smelled like burnt hair ... I couldn't get it outside
      > and in the garbage fast enough.

      I was using dried pellets of rabbit-skin glue. It might be that it was old when I bought it. Or it may just be a factor of what smells you like and what you don't like. I dislike the smell of many "natural" soaps because they have an underote that strikes me as "meaty". I'm not sure if it comes from the glycerin or the oil. I also don't care for the smell of raw meat.