Question on hairpins

  • Illish O'Donovan
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
      Good Morning everyone!

      I am currently working on a project and was wondering if anyone might be able to help me. I am looking for documentation (including picture evidence) on 14th Century hairpins. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks in advance,
      Ilish
    • Rebecca Klingbeil
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
        M'lady Illish:

        I have done a cursory search of my Virtual Reference Library images of artwork from the 1300s. While I have found reasonable number of artworks that show women with hairstyles that would seem to require pins or combs or SOMETHING to hold them as depicted, I haven't been able to see any that show the pins THEMSELVES - save one, and it is only a very weak 'maybe' (might be a spot on the picture! - but I can send you a copy if you wish). Unless you mispoke yourself and meant the 1400s (15th c.) - wherein I might have better luck.

        YIS,

        Leofwynn Marchaunt
        Tidbits Trinkets
        http://store.tidbitstrinkets.com

        > I am currently working on a project and was wondering
        > if anyone might be able to help me. I am looking for
        > documentation (including picture evidence) on 14th Century
        > hairpins. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Ilish

        > http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-MillinersYahoo!
        > Groups Links

      • Yvianne
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
          Ilish

          I just did a google search and a few good hits came up as well as
          some more that had what looked like promising leads.

          You could also try the Museum of London "trash" books. IIRC
          there's a tiny bit about them in Dress Accessories

          Hope this helps a bit
          Yvianne

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
            Thank you. Yes, I would very much like to see the picture. What about 14th century veil pins rather than hair pins. Any ideas???
            Ilish

            To: SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.comFrom: bekkamom2001@...: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:08:46 -0800Subject: Re: [SCA-Milliners] Question on hairpins

            M'lady Illish:I have done a cursory search of my Virtual Reference Library images of artwork from the 1300s. While I have found reasonable number of artworks that show women with hairstyles that would seem to require pins or combs or SOMETHING to hold them as depicted, I haven't been able to see any that show the pins THEMSELVES - save one, and it is only a very weak 'maybe' (might be a spot on the picture! - but I can send you a copy if you wish). Unless you mispoke yourself and meant the 1400s (15th c.) - wherein I might have better luck.YIS,Leofwynn MarchauntTidbits Trinketshttp://store.tidbitstrinkets.com--- On Wed, 1/14/09, Illish O'Donovan <illish_o@...> wrote:> From: Illish O'Donovan <illish_o@...>> Subject: [SCA-Milliners] Question on hairpins> To: sca-milliners@yahoogroups.com> Date: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 7:04 AM> Good Morning everyone!> > I am currently working on a project and was wondering> if anyone might be able to help me. I am looking for> documentation (including picture evidence) on 14th Century> hairpins. Any help would be greatly appreciated.> Thanks in advance,> Ilish > __________________________________________________________> Windows Live� Hotmail�: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with> mail. > http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_hm_justgotbetter_howitworks_012009> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]> > > ------------------------------------> > Community email addresses:> Post message: SCA-Milliners@onelist.com> Subscribe: SCA-Milliners-subscribe@onelist.com> Unsubscribe: SCA-Milliners-unsubscribe@onelist.com> List owner: SCA-Milliners-owner@onelist.com> > Shortcut URL to this page:> http://www.onelist.com/community/SCA-MillinersYahoo!> Groups Links> > >

          • Illish O'Donovan
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
              Thanks for the information. I have looked in teh IIRC. I didn't find anything on google, if you still have the leads and could share them that would be wonderful.
              http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_howitworks_012009

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, Illish O'Donovan <illish_o@...>
                wrote:
                > I am currently working on a project and was wondering if anyone
                might be able to help me. I am looking for documentation (including
                picture evidence) on 14th Century hairpins. Any help would be greatly
                appreciated.

                Not really documentation since I can't remember where I saw it, but it
                might help you in interpreting pictorial evidence:

                IIRC, period hairpins are U-shaped, not bobby-pin shaped, and I seem to
                recall that the ones I saw had straight legs, not wavy-shaped.

                Rashid
              • Yvianne
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                  Ilish

                  When you see me I'm usually wearing a veil or briefly in a
                  headband and scrunchie as I'm leaving an event ... but outside
                  the SCA I wear a lot of different kinds of decorative hair
                  ornaments.

                  Thanks for the spark

                  I spent quite a while this afternoon looking at all kinds of hair
                  stuff (period and modern)
                  I've been to oodles of pages
                  All I can remember is where I started .... at google with the
                  search terms
                  "14th century", + "hair pin"

                  I saved a copy of a pdf handout on 14th Century Women's Clothing
                  from Lutrell Psalter Period
                  users.skynet.be/bister/Passion/Fichiers/14thcClothing.pdf
                  It's a wonderfully written overview and has a brief, but nice,
                  section on hoods and veils.

                  I found lots of stuff on hair pins and veil pins but I
                  sidetracked a while ago and am now looking at random period
                  artifacts that folks in England have found with metal detectors.

                  Yvianne

                  > Thanks for the information. I have looked in teh IIRC. I
                  > didn't find anything on google, if you still have the leads and
                  > could share them that would be wonderful
                • Karen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 15, 2009
                    There are some hairpins on my linkspage at http://larsdatter.com/pins.htm%c2%a0-- and also some combs at http://larsdatter.com/combs.htm%c2%a0as well.

                    (I'll see if I can find some more hairpins, too.) :-)

                    Karen
                  • Karen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 15, 2009
                      Actually (as a follow-up to my earlier message) ;-) I'll go ahead and set up another linkspage just for hairpins; they'll be at http://larsdatter.com/hairpins.htm shortly. :-)

                      Karen
                    • Illish O'Donovan
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 15, 2009
                        Thank you so much!
                        Ilish

                        To: SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.comFrom: karen_larsdatter@...: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 08:16:09 -0800Subject: [SCA-Milliners] Re: Question on hairpins

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 15, 2009
                          Thank you for this information. It will be helpful!
                          http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_howitworks_012009