keeping an Italian bonnet the head

  • Anetika Roller
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
      Greetings to all! I am in the process of making a kingdom A&S project
      which includes an Italian Bonnet, a rather small one that does not
      acutally fit around the head like a normal hat, it just sort of sits
      on top of the head. I have made these bonnets before, but never
      really with an emphasis on period-ness. In the past, I have used
      several combs attached in various ways inside the brim to hold it on.
      This works quite well, and my hat even stays on in the wind.

      My question to you all is this: How did they keep them on in period?
      Hat pins, or combs? Or perhaps maybe both? It will be worn along
      with a coif, worn at the back of the head, with long hair in a braided
      bun underneath. Portraits don't really tell us much about this, but
      they had to use something, you can't just walk around with the thing
      balanced on your head!

      Any thoughts?

      YIS,
      Constance Wilkicke
    • Susan Griner
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2008
        Could you post a link to a portrait? I'm not sure exactly what style you are referring to.
        Lucrezia
        --- In SCA-Milliners@yahoogroups.com, "Anetika Roller" <constancewsca@...> wrote:

        > Greetings to all! I am in the process of making a kingdom A&S project
        > which includes an Italian Bonnet, a rather small one that does not
        > acutally fit around the head like a normal hat, it just sort of sits
        > on top of the head. I have made these bonnets before, but never
        > really with an emphasis on period-ness. In the past, I have used
        > several combs attached in various ways inside the brim to hold it on.
        > This works quite well, and my hat even stays on in the wind.
        >
        > My question to you all is this: How did they keep them on in period?
        > Hat pins, or combs? Or perhaps maybe both? It will be worn along
        > with a coif, worn at the back of the head, with long hair in a braided
        > bun underneath. Portraits don't really tell us much about this, but
        > they had to use something, you can't just walk around with the thing
        > balanced on your head!
        >
        > Any thoughts?
        >
        > YIS,
        > Constance Wilkicke

      • Anetika Roller
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2008
          Sure, here it is:

          http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/images/Snakenborg,Helena(MNorthampton).jpg
          This is the exact project I am doing. I am at the moment working out the
          embroidered flowers on the hat.

          Thanks to anyone who has any input. I am rather stumped on this.

          Constance Wilkicke

          --
          "I am my father's daughter, and I am not afraid of anything"

          -Queens Elizabeth I and II