Re: [SCA-Milliners] my project and some questions

  • Leah Lloyd
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2008
      There are very very few extant headdresses.  There is a scrap of woven ribbon with false hair kept in the Museum of London.  There is also a twist of wire which is probably from a cauled "moose-eared" hennin, also at the Museum of London (and I'm pretty certain that it is photographed upside down ARGH).  There is documentation for certain Spanish tocas having a base of parchment.  Otherwise, that's about it.

      Don't worry overmuch about using period materials because frankly, we just don't know what they are.  We can make reasonable guesses, and go from there.

      I received a laurel in part for my millinery, and the majority of my hennin and headdresses are made with wire hangars, buckram and duct tape.  Duct tape keeps the wire from poking through, and keeps the buckram for suffering epic failures in humid weather.  Pennsic + moose ears = no more hennin LOL

      If you can use materials like basketry and wire, you're probably closer to period materials than you'd think.

      Danabren

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2008
        Hello,

        I have used a variety of modern materials in my hats:plastic canvas, modern
        wedding 'juliet' caps, decorative metal screening, once I even made a crown
        out of a metal basket with golden leaves.
        I used the plastic canvas for a heart-shaped headress and it worked well, it
        takes a smushing and bounces right back.
        I made a 'mailbox' hat out of the decorative metal screening I found at
        Menard's with the sheet metal. That hat bends and does not bounce back easily.
        Most of my crushable hats I keep in the decorative hat boxes that Hobby Lobby
        carries.
        I made a second mailbox hat with a wire frame and covered it with batting
        and sewed hand cast pewter sequins/dots/small medallions. This was for an A&S
        project and I was trying to fasten the frame together by winding thread
        around the joints but they kept failing aand I used electrical tape to hold
        everything together.

        Hope this helps some.
        Antonia
        Baroness White Waters
        South Bend, Indiana

        In a message dated 10/31/2008 11:12:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        luluah@... writes:

[...]

        Shortcut URL to this page:

        **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
        5 Travel Deals!

      • Caitriona Campbell
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2008
          Frankly, I make and wear mine to achieve the look.  If I enter the A&S (which I usually don't) then, materials or substitution materials would be very important.  If it's just for me and to help complete a period look, then I make it from whatever is the most economical and easier to work with but still gives the appropriate look.  I guess in other words, make yourself happy first and the rest of the world after that.

          Caitriona, Karen, DragonLady
          (My personality trinity)